Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Round 4: the other games.

So findlayson gets 3 weeks for saying a homophobic slur and immediately apologises to player, club and publically, and gets 3 weeks suspension.
    Clarkson, only weeks ago does the same thing, no apology, fined.
    Some NRL bloke did it in Vegas and got 4 weeks. No immediate apology.

You could conclude 2 things:
    1) Vic bias, and Clarkson is a protected species.
    2) AFL is being led by the NRL.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    So findlayson gets 3 weeks for saying a homophobic slur and immediately apologises to player, club and publically, and gets 3 weeks suspension.
    Clarkson, only weeks ago does the same thing, no apology, fined.
    Some NRL bloke did it in Vegas and got 4 weeks. No immediate apology.

You could conclude 2 things:
    1) Vic bias, and Clarkson is a protected species.
    2) AFL is being led by the NRL.
    Agree. It's a joke. Clarkson also has form with inappropriate behaviour while Finlayson is in trouble for the first time

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Agree. It's a joke. Clarkson also has form with inappropriate behaviour while Finlayson is in trouble for the first time
    Yes, I think it's a joke too and the AFLPA aren't happy either. I mean Finlayson immediately self reported it, took ownership of it and apologised personally to the Essendon player. I think this alone should excuse him at least from the 'mandatory' 'Pride in Sport' training.

Apparently the AFL took his contrition into account and still thought three weeks off was ok.....bloody hell, I thought a week would have been appropriate. I feel the AFL are grandstanding a bit here, considering what Clarkson got after his slur following repeated historic slip up's.

If the Essendon player isn't gay and it was directed at only him, does that constitute a homophobic slur?

As a straight man myself, I don't see how it's possible someone could abuse me in a way that is homophobic and therefore offensive to me?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    If the Essendon player isn't gay and it was directed at only him, does that constitute a homophobic slur?

As a straight man myself, I don't see how it's possible someone could abuse me in a way that is homophobic and therefore offensive to me?
    Captain, whether or not that Essendon player felt abused or offended is irrelevant. If I called you what Alistair Clarkson said, full of anger and venom, it is essentially equating gay people to scumbags.

The definition of homophobia includes using speech that is hateful towards gay people, and it doesn’t have to be directed towards someone who is gay.

This includes people saying “that is so gay” to mean something is crap. It is demeaning to people who are gay.

Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    Captain, whether or not that Essendon player felt abused or offended is irrelevant. If I called you what Alistair Clarkson said, full of anger and venom, it is essentially equating gay people to scumbags.

The definition of homophobia includes using speech that is hateful towards gay people, and it doesn’t have to be directed towards someone who is gay.

This includes people saying “that is so gay” to mean something is crap. It is demeaning to people who are gay.
    Fair call, that makes sense.

I was interpreting it literally to the person.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Yes, I think it's a joke too and the AFLPA aren't happy either. I mean Finlayson immediately self reported it, took ownership of it and apologised personally to the Essendon player. I think this alone should excuse him at least from the 'mandatory' 'Pride in Sport' training.

Apparently the AFL took his contrition into account and still thought three weeks off was ok.....bloody hell, I thought a week would have been appropriate. I feel the AFL are grandstanding a bit here, considering what Clarkson got after his slur following repeated historic slip up's.
    Totally agree. One week would have been absolutely fine, given Finlayson’s contrition and immediate regret. After Clarkson’s slap with a wet lettuce leaf it’s a joke.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Understand why Barry's post was deleted but it was one of the all time greats. Should be archived somewhere!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234