Thread: This weekends Australian

Veterans List

This weekends Australian

Get your hands on this weekend's Australian, three cracking AFL chat pieces in the Sports section.

The brave Michael Warner is at it again writing a scathing article on the AFL Commission and the AFL Executive. A damning write up that echoes what we all know, that both are bordering on inept and grossly over paid. Staggering that the massively tainted and disgraced Demetriou and Sawyers are even being mentioned to replace the pathetically inept Goyder!!!

An article on Gold Coast's submission to the AFL equalisation projects. A massive broadside at Vicbias and the entitlement of the big Vic clubs.

Front page of the sport section is about GWS wanting to play games at the SCG against the big clubs. A graph showing their average attendances have not changed from 2012 to 2024, also some disturbing GWS financials, as well as how GWS is trying to move away from Western Sydney and trying to muscle in on us.

These are must read pieces.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Get your hands on this weekend's Australian, three cracking AFL chat pieces in the Sports section.

The brave Michael Warner is at it again writing a scathing article on the AFL Commission and the AFL Executive. A damning write up that echoes what we all know, that both are bordering on inept and grossly over paid. Staggering that the massively tainted and disgraced Demetriou and Sawyers are even being mentioned to replace the pathetically inept Goyder!!!

An article on Gold Coast's submission to the AFL equalisation projects. A massive broadside at Vicbias and the entitlement of the big Vic clubs.

Front page of the sport section is about GWS wanting to play games at the SCG against the big clubs. A graph showing their average attendances have not changed from 2012 to 2024, also some disturbing GWS financials, as well as how GWS is trying to move away from Western Sydney and trying to muscle in on us.

No way I'm buying The Australian

Veterans List

If the AFL even consider appointing Demetriou, it would show how corrupt they are.

I've read a couple of articles reporting that clubs wants Pridham as the new Commissioner. Even Kennett wants him.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    If the AFL even consider appointing Demetriou, it would show how corrupt they are.

I've read a couple of articles reporting that clubs wants Pridham as the new Commissioner. Even Kennett wants him.
    Pridham?

I'd have thought Andrew Ireland would be an obvious choice, if he wanted the role. He has experienced playing for one of the biggest Victorian football clubs, has been an outstanding administrator at two of the northern clubs, is already on the Commission, and simply oozes class, integrity and focus on what matters, rather than grandstanding or sycophancy.

It will take another generation before GWS have any reasonable fan base in western Sydney. I don't think playing games at the SCG is really that good an idea either - yes it might get them some more $ in the shorter term, but at what longer term cost. Until they win a flag, it will be very hard for them to get above a certain point in terms of crowds (except for the games against the biggest teams).

I've always thought the AFL should have considered just labelling them the 'Sydney Giants', as a way to be a second Sydney team, rather than tying themselves to the West per say. Especially when you throw in their long term deal with the ACT Government to play games down here in Canberra (a not insignificant contribution to their finances either) - they have a fairly narrow 'branding' per say, despite a want to be a team for many locations.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    It will take another generation before GWS have any reasonable fan base in western Sydney. I don't think playing games at the SCG is really that good an idea either - yes it might get them some more $ in the shorter term, but at what longer term cost. Until they win a flag, it will be very hard for them to get above a certain point in terms of crowds (except for the games against the biggest teams).

I've always thought the AFL should have considered just labelling them the 'Sydney Giants', as a way to be a second Sydney team, rather than tying themselves to the West per say. Especially when you throw in their long term deal with the ACT Government to play games down here in Canberra (a not insignificant contribution to their finances either) - they have a fairly narrow 'branding' per say, despite a want to be a team for many locations.
    I don't see it in another generation. They are seriously better off moving to Canberra and lobbying to have Manuka properly developed. That's the only way that they'll build a respectably sized fan base.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Pridham?

I'd have thought Andrew Ireland would be an obvious choice, if he wanted the role. He has experienced playing for one of the biggest Victorian football clubs, has been an outstanding administrator at two of the northern clubs, is already on the Commission, and simply oozes class, integrity and focus on what matters, rather than grandstanding or sycophancy.
    Ireland was mentioned as the only viable candidate from the current commission. I agree he would be a fantastic appointment and he would bring some integrity to the organisation.

Caroline Wilson mentioned Pridham's name again on Footy Classified.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    Ireland was mentioned as the only viable candidate from the current commission. I agree he would be a fantastic appointment and he would bring some integrity to the organisation.

Caroline Wilson mentioned Pridham's name again on Footy Classified.
    What did Footy Classified have to say about the overall Commission situation?

Senior Player
    If GWS' crowds haven't grown since 2012 out at Homebush then it might be time to move their eight games at Giants Stadium
    to the SCG. Since 2016 they've generally been a pretty good team. With a bit more luck they could have won flags in 2016 and
    2023. It is interesting, we have 70,000 members, 55-60,000 of them live in NSW, 40,000 plus people are going to our home games
    at the SCG and yet at best only 7-10,000 of them will go out to Homebush. 80% of the Swans fans that will go to the SCG won't
    travel 18 km to Homebush to see them play. Crowd-wise it just isn't working at Homebush. For anyone.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    If GWS' crowds haven't grown since 2012 out at Homebush then it might be time to move their eight games at Giants Stadium
    to the SCG. Since 2016 they've generally been a pretty good team. With a bit more luck they could have won flags in 2016 and
    2023. It is interesting, we have 70,000 members, 55-60,000 of them live in NSW, 40,000 plus people are going to our home games
    at the SCG and yet at best only 7-10,000 of them will go out to Homebush. 80% of the Swans fans that will go to the SCG won't
    travel 18 km to Homebush to see them play. Crowd-wise it just isn't working at Homebush. For anyone.
    I realise some Swans fans refused to go to Homebush to watch their team play, but I went to every game out there (albeit grudgingly). But the main reason I won't travel to Homebush now is because the Swans aren't there. I'm not travelling out there to watch the Giants play.

If Giants fans won't travel to Homebush to watch their team, why would they travel to the far less centrally located SCG to watch their team play?

Veterans List
    What did Footy Classified have to say about the overall Commission situation?
    Not much that I could recall. Caroline mentioned Pridham and Demetriou, but then conversation quickly moved on to Kennett. He tweeted a complaint about Caroline reporting in her article that Kennett was "contacted for comment". He said he never spoke to her and her article implied that she had spoken to him. She said that is what journalists write when they don't get a response from someone. It went on and on and it was a waste of 5 minutes !