Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rugby Calender Clashes with Swans Draw

OldE
    They'll pull out the old "but that's in Melbourne, and we all know they don't know what they're talking about" line. I figure the best thing to do is trick them into attending as many AFL matches as humanly possible til I convert them all. Thus for my birthday this year I invited them all to go to the Lions game....

Living in 2005
    Vic, SA, WA, TAS and NT (well the last one isn't a state I know)!

They would die for what we have here!

As for their strongholds, they are so scared of league it isn't funny.

OldE
    Fair point!

Maybe I should just give up the battle and move to another state

Living in 2005
    Originally posted by eirinn
    Fair point!

Maybe I should just give up the battle and move to another state
    Nah don't take the easy way out, keep converting the masses to the great game

Yarraville, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    Originally posted by eirinn
    I guess it's the attitude that irritates me. I am sick of all my rugby-loving friends telling me that rugby is the far superior code, and this will only fuel the fire. We're acting like we're second best, and allowing the ARU to be the prima donnas they are.

To capture the Sydney market, the AFL needs to be aggressive. I really don't see how moving the game would help, unless it's something we can hold against them in later duels.

Sorry, just needed a whinge.
    I'm with you Erin. Upon reading about this I'm completely filled with rage. When doing everything ethically and reserving the arena on the Saturday night, the AFL and Demetriou has been shown to be nothing but a milksop at the hands of the ARU's evil brinksmanship. And let's face it, they know what they were doing. And know that the Bledisloe is such a big product that from just a dollars and cents point of view that the ground hirers will buckle to their every demand.

I swear the ARU have done this deliberately, knowing the drawing power of the Bledisloe. It was imperative for the AFL to stand their ground once and for all to show them that they are not prepared to be bullied, especially by shifty bastards who seem unable to play the ball in the first place. The ARU must be smiling smuggly hearing Demetriou saying that he is happy with the outcome.

Purely and simply the Swans and AFL footy have been shafted by the ARU YET again. By pushing the match to the Sunday, we are in risk of having a crowd 20-30% smaller than what we could have had the night before.

I guess the only solace in this is that the many people who watch both codes will have the chance to do so now. And that with many sports tourists in town for the rugger (including lots from Queensland) there may actually be a small advantage in the fact that they may want to have a look at our brand of football for the first time.

But of course with 90% of the newspapers being about the Bledisloe that weekend, nobody will know our game will be on at all.

I hope the rugger buggers are slipping the odd $50 note under the door of those at AFL House. If not, then I'm sure we have been rorted.

JF
    "Never ever ever state that Sydney is gone.They are like cockroaches in the aftermath of a nuclear war"
    (Forum poster 'Change', Big Footy 04Apr09)

Originally posted by Damien
    It's the 1pm game, I seriously doubt the AFL would have changed this and not guaranteed Nine Coverage. If it was Fox Footy, the game would begin at 2pm.

My guess is that the whole round has now been changed to accomodate this change.
    Cats vs Demons at Skilled is the other 1pm Sunday game and the Cats aren't going to be happy to give up the National coverage just like that. Its going to be hard to fix the fixture around to fit our game in for Ch 9 coverage, so I guess its best no one gets their hopes up for FTA national coverage just yet. From where I stand it seems unlikely unless Ch 10 show the match.
    Once was, now elsewhere

Originally posted by dread and might
    That's how they stay rich..... the (*&&^* face stamping, scratching biting goons. if it's the game they play in heaven, i'll have a reserved seat at the other joint.
    zero respect from me for any sport with fat blokes at the top level.
    It's the game they play in corporate board rooms: face stamping, scratching biting, anything to get a business advantage or screw the consumers.

It will be interesting to go to SA on a Sunday afternoon. I hope the game starts at 2pm.

You can't compare this game to a Sunday pre-season game against Carlton.

I don't think games in Sydney should ever be telecast live into Sydney.

Why didn't the AFL just switch the game back to the SCG on the Saturday night? Because there would be less people in attendance than the number that would turn up on a Sunday afternoon at SA. I know the official spiel will be three contracted games at SA...........................

If the AFL (or ARU) compensates the Swans for any losses incurred on their part for having the game on Sunday then that's the AFL's loss. I'm sure the ARU has made a generous donation becuase why else would Andrew Demetriou

Lets hope it's a sunny day, there's no trackwork and a fully fit team.

It gives the Swans advertising team a very interesting assignment in creating something out of this. Let's wait and see what they can do.

More important things in life to get ulcers over!
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Living in 2005
    Originally posted by robbieando
    Cats vs Demons at Skilled is the other 1pm Sunday game and the Cats aren't going to be happy to give up the National coverage just like that. Its going to be hard to fix the fixture around to fit our game in for Ch 9 coverage, so I guess its best no one gets their hopes up for FTA national coverage just yet. From where I stand it seems unlikely unless Ch 10 show the match.
    I just don't understand the 1pm start if 9 isn't going to show it nationally, plus I can't see Fox Footy wanting to cover two games on the Sunday...and Channel 10 will want a game on the Saturday night which will rule them out of taking it on the Sunday.

My feeling is that the AFL will change the roster that weekend, perhaps something will be worked out to give Cats/Demons prime time on a Saturday night? who knows. Guess we will find out more in the next few months.

On the Rookie List swansrock4eva's Avatar
    BAH!

So not happy about this!

the AFL have become a bunch of weak, spineless little babies who appear to know nothing about negotiations! Now they've left themselves with a nasty hole for TV rights, scheduling with other clubs and countless other issues, all because they wouldn't stand up to the Rugby bullies!

Why didn't they just swap an SCG night game for an SA one though? sounds like they're shooting themselves in the foot all round really...

Veteran Site Admin
    Originally posted by JF_Bay22_SCG
    I'm with you Erin. Upon reading about this I'm completely filled with rage. When doing everything ethically and reserving the arena on the Saturday night, the AFL and Demetriou has been shown to be nothing but a milksop at the hands of the ARU's evil brinksmanship.
    Do we actually know this to be the case though? It is entirely feasible that both associations booked the the stadium in good faith on the Saturday and that somehow the double booking wasn't picked up by the SA management.

Unless anyone has inside knowledge on how the double booking occured, it is presumptious to assign blame or to accuse the AFL of rolling over from a position of "being in the right".

If it was a simple error - albeit a big one - the greater pulling power of the Bledisloe Cup, coupled with the lesser flexibility that the ARU has with its scheduling for internationals than a domestic competition (the AFL) has, was always going to win the day.

Suspended by the MRP
    Has anyone considered that the AFL, which is probably the best administered sport in Australia, may actually know what they are doing ?

Why does everyone assume complete incompetance or lack of back bone !

You never know, maybe both the AFL and the Swans actually got a good deal out of this ? i mean, they only said that in every interview given on the subject !

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast