Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bolton, Mathews, Crouch and Kirk

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMase View Post
    He also had 5 defensive rebounds, which was the most by any Swan and the only player to figure in the top 5.
    You know why he had that stat? Because he was the only midfielder pushing back in the first half.

We have too many taggers. Our midfield is in terrible shape. At each centre bounce they focus almost entirely on stopping their opponents - half of them don't even watch the football. I was amazed how many times they actually ran away from the football toward their own man, or they were facing their man and the ball bounced past them.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Even missing that early shot at goal on the run was pretty poor given it was a straightforward shot and he missed by a fair way.
    That was absolutely pathetic!

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by NMWBloods View Post
    We have too many taggers. Our midfield is in terrible shape. At each centre bounce they focus almost entirely on stopping their opponents - half of them don't even watch the football. I was amazed how many times they actually ran away from the football toward their own man, or they were facing their man and the ball bounced past them.
    Actually I did take note of this as well. Ben Mathews was a shocker for it.

We definitely lost it in the mid-field. Many times in the first half the only movement was from Fosdike or Ablett. The only time we looked like getting any drive out of the middle was in the third when Goodes was running in from CHB, on more than one occasion he grabbed the ball and either kicked or knocked it forward.

It was more than obvious last night that we are struggling with our complete half back line out injured.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Veterans List
    Is there deliberate irony in claiming that we need to get rid of some of the best lock down players in the competition while bemoaning that we let the Roos blow us away in the first quarter so we never had a chance to catch up?

Work rate and structure were our undoing, not these players. In fact, it's so noticeable how our structure falls apart when a few players are missing. No Tiger or Monty (or LRT) and there are holes you can drive an Archer-sized truck through.

Watching it on TV last night, it was sad to see some Swans players simply give up the chase. Goodes and Moore were two who seemed to have the mindset "I've done enough and can stop now". That could certainly not be said of Kirk who seemed to play with desperation and was about the only one who cleared the ball out of the congestion.

We'd be looking really sad if our two ruckmen hadn't stepped up so well around the ground.

Veterans List
    And North was the opposite, eyes only for the ball and QUICK. I watched Goodes in the last Q at centre bounces and they showed scant regard for him.

On Goodes at centre bounces, play him off the back of the square to run in for the loose ball to give us some dash.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannie14 View Post
    We definitely lost it in the mid-field. Many times in the first half the only movement was from Fosdike or Ablett. The only time we looked like getting any drive out of the middle was in the third when Goodes was running in from CHB, on more than one occasion he grabbed the ball and either kicked or knocked it forward.

It was more than obvious last night that we are struggling with our complete half back line out injured.

Sorry cant agree on Ablett. His stats show he had 13 of his 17 possessions as uncontested. I posted last night I thought as much and this mornings stats vindicate what I saw. Clearly injured and unable to make contests so took the short kicks and delivered to nowhere. Should never have been out there.

you're kidding right? that was a great kick by his standards - didn't go out on the full!
    BLT. BOG.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    Is there deliberate irony in claiming that we need to get rid of some of the best lock down players in the competition while bemoaning that we let the Roos blow us away in the first quarter so we never had a chance to catch up?
    I think 3 goals in perfect conditons in a half of football (and thus leaving ourselves too much to catch up) suugests that too many of our players are defensively oriented.

As I say so many times we need to be more attacking and kick goals and the first half was a perfect example of that.

Work rate and structure were our undoing, not these players. In fact, it's so noticeable how our structure falls apart when a few players are missing. No Tiger or Monty (or LRT) and there are holes you can drive an Archer-sized truck through.
    Injuries happen in football. Other teams get them and cope. Our game falls apart, which is a worry.

Watching it on TV last night, it was sad to see some Swans players simply give up the chase. Goodes and Moore were two who seemed to have the mindset "I've done enough and can stop now". That could certainly not be said of Kirk who seemed to play with desperation and was about the only one who cleared the ball out of the congestion.
    Yes, Kirk was one of the few who kept at it. Goodes was a big sook for much of the night. Moore didn't seem to get enough game time to matter either way.

We'd be looking really sad if our two ruckmen hadn't stepped up so well around the ground.
    One of the better halves of our two ruckmen combined. Finally made us competitive out of the centre too.

ive been up the oval today and i can kick that goal, granted not as much pressure, but what was with the wierd kicking action
    Theres not much left to say

I agree and that is the game plan Why don't we just have a crack for at least a quarter of going in hard and getting the ball. When you are 5 goals down for Christ's sake you are never going to catch up playing our game plan. You may by having 5 quarters. To try and maintain the plan and score just doesn't gel. I'm sure we have great ball getters who if released from their tagging duties could causes havoc and then we might score 7 goals in a qrt. How exciting would it be?
    cheers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast