PDA

View Full Version : Your favourite onfield contributor(s) thus far in 2008?

stellation
8th July 2008, 08:55 PM
Who are you enjoying watching run around in the red and white this year? I don't mean who is the best (although it is obviously perfectly fine if you are particuarly enjoying watching someone because you feel they are the best player out there), just who you are enjoying the efforts of so far.

Craig Bird is someone who I've really been enjoying watch, his composure in traffic and ability to keep his feet whilst being tackled and knack of getting out an effective, attacking disposal is really wonderful to see.

reigning premier
8th July 2008, 08:57 PM
Moore, Moore & Moore.......

Give me... Moore....

Big Al
8th July 2008, 09:01 PM
Magic has always been a favourite and nothing has changed this year to alter that.

Oh yeah I love the way Kirky plays as well.

PS: Can I do Annie's post - I promise to do a goodes job of it.

hammo
8th July 2008, 09:01 PM
Captain Kirk. Playing with enormous consistency and has taken his leadership to another level.

Triple B
8th July 2008, 09:09 PM
Captain Kirk. Playing with enormous consistency and has taken his leadership to another level.

Yep, we don't see eye to eye on lots of things Hammo, but Kirky has been fantastic. Agree completely.

I've enjoyed watching all the debutants, or near debutants like Moore, knowing (well IMO anyway) that they were up to speed when others doubted. I just wish Kizza would get released for a game. I have no doubt he is getting the tough tagging roles as a teaching tool, but I guarantee in 10 years as he reaches the end of his career he won't be remembered as a tagger.

I've also enjoyed watching Mattner.

stellation
8th July 2008, 09:10 PM
I'm with you there, he makes the game a little more fun!

goswannie14
8th July 2008, 09:19 PM
Marty Mattner, apart from Judd he must be the recruit of the year!!!

swantastic
8th July 2008, 09:30 PM
Kirk and Mattner have been the best so far.

With honourable mentions too Bird,Jack,Bevo and Moore.

JUDO
8th July 2008, 09:35 PM
Barry Hall. I happend to love those two punches.

573v30
8th July 2008, 09:48 PM
Kirk and Mattner, hardly an ordinary effort from those two this season.

ugg
8th July 2008, 10:22 PM
Ted Richards, playing with such confidence in the backline.

givekidsakick
8th July 2008, 10:22 PM
ryano & jack.....

NMWBloods
8th July 2008, 11:17 PM
Mattner
Moore
C Bolton
Kirk
Jack
McVeigh

BSA5
8th July 2008, 11:44 PM
Bird (Really, really, REALLY rate this kid. Once his fitness is up to scratch, watch out!)
Jack ('Nuff said)
Mattner (See above)
Kirk (Truly inspirational, always great to watch him work his guts off)
Moore (A bloody cannonball around the field; pity he has dropped off a bit recently)
McVeigh (Our most improved player; always knew he had it in him, but consistency was his problem, but no longer, it seems!)

In that order.

ash3
9th July 2008, 12:28 AM
Mattner
Moore
C Bolton
Kirk
Jack
McVeigh

:) As above :)

smasher
9th July 2008, 06:51 AM
It was great to see Moore and Jude run down two magpies on Sat and get rewarded.Love to see more of that.

i'm-uninformed2
9th July 2008, 07:49 AM
Heath James is the best runner we've had for a long time, I think.

But among the showpony players, Bird and MOL.

stellation
9th July 2008, 08:16 AM
Heath James is the best runner we've had for a long time, I think.

I'm always amazed when he gets off the field uninjured.

RogueSwan
9th July 2008, 09:15 AM
Moore and McVeigh.

i'm-uninformed2
9th July 2008, 09:50 AM
I'm always amazed when he gets off the field uninjured.

He permanently wears ice packs on his hamstrings

stellation
9th July 2008, 09:58 AM
He permanently wears ice packs on his hamstrings
Does he still have the private jet company thingy going? That's cool.

Primmy
9th July 2008, 11:11 AM
Well I think we are all fairly brilliant Swans supporters. We all know who is great, we are not arguing, we also agree there is a great deal of satisfaction watching Heath run for us as he couldn't as a player, and enjoy himself. Also we appear to be doing very well with the new players, and our team looks to be evolving as it should.

And bless Kirky. His sheer enjoyment is a tonic.

i'm-uninformed2
9th July 2008, 11:18 AM
Does he still have the private jet company thingy going? That's cool.

You should know that's how the C-grade celebreties that hang onto the Swans when they are travelling well get to the game

ScottH
9th July 2008, 11:34 AM
MattnerHas got better and better as the season has gone on. Maybe took a while to settle into the game plan.

MooreHas been outstanding in a few games, a little quiet of late.

C BoltonNot his best year I would have thought, though certainly not having a crap year. Hopefully will rise to the challenges of the coming months. Who will he get this week, Buddy or Roughy?

Kirk Outstanding and consistent, if not for him, we would not be 4th, and we would've lost by much more on Sat.

JackCame out of the blocks flying, but seems to have settled back into the pack. Still has a touch of classiness about him.

McVeigh Really stepped up this year. As with Jack seemed to come out of the blocks flying, and has settled back into the pack.

Surprised you didn't have ROK, in your list.
He was one of the best in the first half of the season, but seems to have gone missing in the last few games.

Bird has shown enough to warrant his debut game, without any reserves introduction. Lucky to keep his spot in the team, recently. The goal he kicked on Sat. night had star written all over it. One to certainly watch, as the experience builds.

MOL a true champion, need I say more. Stepped up to the plate while Hall took a little holiday, and hopefully, will continue that form in his absence.

Mel
9th July 2008, 11:39 AM
I've really enjoyed watching the young 'uns; particularily Moore and Jack.

For some reason, I've never really enjoyed the way Kirk goes about his business (possibly because my Uncle is in love with him and would sing his praises if he so much as tied his shoelaces). This year though, I've really started to admire him (again possibly because my Uncle no longer comes to games with us!!!).

swansrule100
9th July 2008, 11:52 AM
in order

bird- with davis and hall out almost my favourite player

kirk
jolly
mattner
mcveigh
magic
davis

most frustrating

okeefe - due to goal kicking

Plugger46
9th July 2008, 12:01 PM
Marty Mattner. Fantastic pick-up.

RogueSwan
9th July 2008, 12:41 PM
... most frustrating

okeefe - due to goal kicking

I was going to make a post about the games we would have won if Pebbles had kicked straight but it would only be the Aints and Roos games. He wasn't the lone ranger in missing during those games so it would be rude to blame the losses squarely on him.
Still, 15 23 is an abysmal return for a top AFL player.:frown

Danzar
9th July 2008, 01:24 PM
Most settled - Richards. While not our best defender, I think he's settled into his role very well. Spoils are far more effective. harder on the ball and is just starting to shed that hesitation he has after a mark.

Most improved - very hard. Moore? Bevan? Mattner? Three way tie? They're all really turning into great players. To be honest, I'd have to say Bevan. His tackling is ferocious and effective.

Oozing potential award - I'm getting freakish vibes from Bird.

Wazza
9th July 2008, 02:05 PM
Bird has shown enough to suggest he will be a quality midfielder, given his age and the roles he has played I think he has been very good.

The coaching panel should be applauded for giving him plenty of game time allowing him to settle and develop.

LRT being a fan of LRT is a roller coaster, seeing him step up to take occasional ruck duties and do ok- plus he has been a good contributor in defence. I cannot question his courage or commitment at the ball, always has ago but doesnt always make the best decisions.

I think he has come along ok and has improved this season, given he missed most of last year, still plenty of development in this guy.

bennyfrou
9th July 2008, 03:46 PM
Yep, we don't see eye to eye on lots of things Hammo, but Kirky has been fantastic. Agree completely.

I've enjoyed watching all the debutants, or near debutants like Moore, knowing (well IMO anyway) that they were up to speed when others doubted. I just wish Kizza would get released for a game. I have no doubt he is getting the tough tagging roles as a teaching tool, but I guarantee in 10 years as he reaches the end of his career he won't be remembered as a tagger.

Martin Mattner, picked him in my dream team from the beginning of the year and he as virtually been a standout in defence every week. Oh yeah and he's playing great for the Swans too.

Triple B
9th July 2008, 04:21 PM
Most improved - very hard. Moore? Bevan? Mattner? Three way tie?

I'd suggest McVeigh is streets ahead in the 'Most Improved' category.

connolly
9th July 2008, 04:26 PM
Mattner

alison.z
9th July 2008, 04:47 PM
Bird and Jack
great to see some good football from the new guys - something we haven't seen in recent years (the young players, not the good football)

swansrule100
9th July 2008, 05:02 PM
Mattner

what about bevan?

connolly
9th July 2008, 06:47 PM
what about bevan?

If i'm pressed would have to confess he is in my top three.

9th July 2008, 08:13 PM

Same here , Kirky somehow has gone to another level, what a leader and would be polling a few Charlies as well .

Of the Kids : Keiran Jack at the moment much improved disposal and done some big jobs on good players.

Special Mentions : Darren Jolly , Micky O & Jarred McVeigh

Industrial Fan
10th July 2008, 11:09 AM
If i'm pressed would have to confess he is in my top three.:D

Mattner for me too. Moore behind him.

Danzar
11th July 2008, 01:34 PM
I'd suggest McVeigh is streets ahead in the 'Most Improved' category.

Good point. Agree with this.