PDA

View Full Version : How did Smith go?

satchmopugdog
13th July 2008, 05:59 PM
Is one up on Laidlaw and has now played two.

Did he look out of his depth? Did he do some good things? Worth persisting with?

NMWBloods
13th July 2008, 06:01 PM
Except for one nice mark (which resulted in a goal) he did nothing.

ugg
13th July 2008, 06:02 PM
Don't think he got much TOG. More towards the end of the game when the result was decided.

swansrule100
13th July 2008, 06:02 PM
was not alone doing nothing. Not sure why he is in ahead of a schmidt or barlow if they are both fit?

Danzar
13th July 2008, 06:23 PM
Showed himself in the second half.

I was pleased with his performance. Yes, he didn't do much but kept a cool head when he had the ball. He just didn't get the ball enough, but you can't blame that on him, given the way the Swans played.

dimelb
13th July 2008, 08:27 PM
So-so. I'd rather see Schmidt there. Or Laidlaw when he's fit.

DST
13th July 2008, 08:30 PM
was not alone doing nothing. Not sure why he is in ahead of a schmidt or barlow if they are both fit?

Barlow is not and Schmidt looks way to heavy at present to play senior football (mainly due to no pre-season and inability to string consecutive games together).

Based on current state of seconds squad, Smith or Brabazon were the only two choices.

DST
:D

liz
He needs a chance at at least a couple of games in a row to settle in and show what he's got. At reserves level he's shown himself to be a player who can make you blink, take a second look and ask yourself "How on earth did he do that?" But even at that level he can go missing for long periods.

NMWBloods
So much for our exciting level of depth!

liz
13th July 2008, 08:34 PM
Barlow is not and Schmidt looks way to heavy at present to play senior football (mainly due to no pre-season and inability to string consecutive games together).

Based on current state of seconds squad, Smith or Brabazon were the only two choices.

DST

:confused: Schmidt's a solid lad and he's always going to be a solid lad. He looks as light and fit to me at the moment as he has at any time. No doubt he's taken a bit of time to get some endurance back after his long lay-off but he was clearly the best mid in my eyes last weekend in the twos. I guess they brought Smith in to provide a bit more run - since he was a replacement for Malceski - but I think Schmidt deserved, as still deserves, his senior chance.

Not sure where you plucked Brabazon from. He wasn't even named an emergency and Schmidt was clearly the more effective player last week in the magoos.

dendol
13th July 2008, 10:00 PM
Schmidt may have a massive arse but that doesnt mean he's fat. O'Keefe also carries something extra on the backside (according to the missus.. i haven't been checking out Ryan's bum) but he's not exactly slow nor lacking in fitness.

goswannie14
13th July 2008, 10:02 PM
I thought, from limited game time, that he did okay.

DeadlyAkkuret
13th July 2008, 10:03 PM
So much for our exciting level of depth!

Bit harsh mate. First game:rolleyes:

Edit: My bad, 2nd game. Still think it's harsh to come down on him when it's the older players who should be getting the job done.

hammo
13th July 2008, 10:04 PM
I haven't been impressed by the two games he's played.

NMWBloods
13th July 2008, 10:24 PM
Bit harsh mate. First game:rolleyes:

Edit: My bad, 2nd game. Still think it's harsh to come down on him when it's the older players who should be getting the job done.
My comment was not on Smith (whom I noted elsewhere should be given a longer go at it), but DST's observation that there were limited options to bring into the firsts. So no need for the :rolleyes: .

liz
13th July 2008, 10:39 PM
My comment was not on Smith (whom I noted elsewhere should be given a longer go at it), but DST's observation that there were limited options to bring into the firsts. So no need for the :rolleyes: .

While the senior list has had a reasonably good run with injuries, they've hit our back-up players quite hard. Schmidt missed a lot of the pre-season, Grundy lost a month, Laidlaw's had no luck at all, Fossie's had knee and now hamstring injuries, Thornton is obviously out for the season, Barlow's had hamstring issues in the last few weeks, even Davo has had injuries niggles that have curtailed his fight to win his spot back. Those are the players who should be putting pressure on those in the senior team, or giving Roos at least options to rotate the young'uns in.

Even someone like Vez might have been a chance to play this year - given the excellent form he has shown when on the ground- had he not had groin problems to add to a lack of pre-season due to his shoulder surgery.

DST
13th July 2008, 10:56 PM
:confused: Schmidt's a solid lad and he's always going to be a solid lad. He looks as light and fit to me at the moment as he has at any time. No doubt he's taken a bit of time to get some endurance back after his long lay-off but he was clearly the best mid in my eyes last weekend in the twos. I guess they brought Smith in to provide a bit more run - since he was a replacement for Malceski - but I think Schmidt deserved, as still deserves, his senior chance.

Not sure where you plucked Brabazon from. He wasn't even named an emergency and Schmidt was clearly the more effective player last week in the magoos.

I know Schmidt is a solid lad and unfortunately I don't get to see the reserves but based on his appearance in the Port game he still had a long way to go fitness wise to overcome his lack of preseason.

If he is looking fitter then by all means it's time he was played.

My observation on Brabazon was based entirely on the fact that no other running player in the two's look to have strung enough games together to be ready for senior football.

As you see more reserves than I do Liz, who else in the twos could be tagged as physically ready to play as a runner at present.

DST

SimonH
13th July 2008, 11:56 PM
From a TV perspective, Smith was fine in those limited things he did. Can run, catch and kick a bit. Would have to leave it to those who have seen him play more than half an hour of footy to conclude whether he'll 'make it'.

Like liz said, if Schmidt, Thornton, Fosdike, Laidlaw and DOK were fit/had full pre-seasons and an uninterrupted run at it, not only would Smith not be a chance in the world to play but Bird would have barely debuted and Jack would, at best, be in and out of the squad.

Not that we have anywhere near the worst injury list in the league. Not even with BBBH (head) and Kennelly (it's out, no it's back in: OUCH!) on it.