PDA

View Full Version : Ross Lyon and St. Kilda: I was wrong!

Xie Shan
21st July 2008, 04:30 PM
Yep, it's a humble pie thread. Sort of. :p

I have often been critical of Ross Lyon's coaching since he went to the Saints, and on this board I've lamented the fact that he's attempted to transplant our game plan to the more talented St. Kilda team.

After watching the replay of the Saints-Hawks game, however, I have changed my mind. The Saints were fantastic in the second half against Hawthorn, and given that this is their fourth win in a row now, I am thinking that perhaps they have finally found the key to unlocking their massive potential, with this largely due to the discipline imposed by the Roos-Sydney-Lyon-St.Kilda-tempo-stoppage-footy-ugly-whatever-you-want-to-call-it game plan.

The 'conventional' wisdom when Lyon took over was that the Swans' style would add an element of hardness to the Saints' still very talented line-up, and while it took a while, I think they are starting to reap the benefits. It was a total team effort on Saturday night, and they now look to be a far more even team, yet still led from the front by Riewoldt, who's been terrific of late. They probably won't finish top 4 unless we and the other teams above them falter badly, but they are my dark horse for the flag nevertheless.

I might put a few bucks on them to take all the glory in September. After all, the only thing that Lyon hasn't copied from Roosy is to win a flag from nowhere! ;)

They're very likely to win their next 2 (West Coast and Port) which would have them 11-7 and well and truly in the race for 4th spot, but having said all that, I'd like to see them beat a finals-hardened team like Collingwood (in a few weeks' time) before I talk them up any further. Otherwise I'd just look silly, you see? :p

hot potato
21st July 2008, 11:55 PM
I wouldn't begrudge old man Harvey a Granny thats for sure.

Wardy
22nd July 2008, 08:06 AM

unless it was against us!;)

Saints have a pretty easy run, with the exception of Collingwood and maybe the Crows. - they get WC. Port, Freo,and Bombers as the rest. Still Saints have promised so much over the years and have failed to deliver when it really counted. So dont know if they could really threaten the likes of Geelong, Bulldogs (and maybe even us!). then again - they have lost the unlosable too. We wait and see.

cruiser
22nd July 2008, 10:26 AM
You're not serious? I hope St Kilda and it's army of obnoxious feral supporters never experience another grand final again.

goswannie14
22nd July 2008, 12:09 PM
You're not serious? I hope St Kilda and it's army of obnoxious feral supporters never experience another grand final again.

Hear, hear.

BeeEmmAre
22nd July 2008, 01:10 PM

I agree with this.

unless it was against us!

And with this.

Xie Shan
22nd July 2008, 01:46 PM
Oh, I wouldn't begrudge the PLAYERS a flag, regardless of whether Harvey was playing or not. As wardy said they've promised so much in the last few years that you could argue that a premiership is long overdue, sort of like Spain in Euro 2008. As for their fans, well, all clubs have their share of feral supporters and I do have a few (non-feral, of course!) saints fans in the extended family so I'll just let that one slide for the time being. ;)

As BeeEmmAre said, all this goes out the window, however, in the unlikely event we make the GF. I already know what losing one feels like, I don't want to see it happen again!!

cruiser
22nd July 2008, 07:47 PM
I agree with this. Have you ever been to a St Kilda v Sydney game in Melbourne, especially either of the finals in 2004 and 2005?

BeeEmmAre
22nd July 2008, 07:59 PM
Have you ever been to a St Kilda v Sydney game in Melbourne, especially either of the finals in 2004 and 2005?

1999 at Waverley Park - we smashed em and they were feral.
2000 at Docklands (opening weekend) - we won easily.
2004 semi at the MCG - we lost by 51 points in @@@@ty conditions. It hurt a lot, especially the 4 hour drive home, but I still wouldn't begrudge Harvey a flag as long as it's not at our expense.

Their supporters IMO are a long way from the worst I've seen.

NMWBloods
22nd July 2008, 08:06 PM
I find StKilda supporters to be amongst the dumbest and biggest whingers.

goswannie14
22nd July 2008, 08:07 PM
I find StKilda supporters to be amongst the dumbest and biggest whingers.And they have been so arrogant since the media said they had the best list in the AFL.

cruiser
22nd July 2008, 08:50 PM
2004 semi at the MCG - we lost by 51 points in @@@@ty conditions. It hurt a lot, especially the 4 hour drive home, but I still wouldn't begrudge Harvey a flag as long as it's not at our expense.

Their supporters IMO are a long way from the worst I've seen.
They were so vile at that game. They have no idea how to behave graciously when they win, because they do it so rarely.

BeeEmmAre
23rd July 2008, 12:52 PM
They were so vile at that game. They have no idea how to behave graciously when they win, because they do it so rarely.

Fair enough mate. I don't remember copping anything out of the ordinary, but I might have been in a different part of the ground to you.
There's actually only the one game I've ever been to where I left pissed off with opposition supporters.
Ironically that was the 1999 game at Waverley when one bitch who would have been in her mid-50s was completely over the top, although because we won so easily it didn't worry me as much.

My favourite "supporter memory" was actually at Kardinia Park in about 1997 or 1998 when we won by seven goals - the number Plugger kicked after Brett O'Farrell kicked seven in the twos.
I was sitting in the old Reg Hickey Stand as the only Swan among 5000 Cats and I kept getting nasty looks from this couple in their late 70s who were sitting in front of us.
Early in the last quarter the old bloke got up, gave me a look to kill and left.
5 mins later his missus followed and I just said 'thankyou' and put my feet up!!!!

Hang on, maybe I'm the feral. :eek: :p :D

AnnieH
23rd July 2008, 01:12 PM

Hear hear.

If they get into the finals, they'll choke.
The pressure is a bit too much for them.

Xie Shan
27th July 2008, 06:43 PM
They're very likely to win their next 2 (West Coast and Port) which would have them 11-7 and well and truly in the race for 4th spot, but having said all that, I'd like to see them beat a finals-hardened team like Collingwood (in a few weeks' time) before I talk them up any further. Otherwise I'd just look silly, you see? :p

Aw, crap. :p

Though they were mentioned as one of the week's biggest losers, so perhaps I was onto something, if only they had managed to get over the Eagles...

573v30
27th July 2008, 07:13 PM
Bump

Argh!!! Too late! ;)