Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A Sorry Day at Henson Park

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotties View Post
    Tsk. The league should have put Uni in the Premier Cup as requested. What was their logic again?
    I think it was to try and deter kids from travelling from all parts of Sydney to "just" play Challenge Cup. They decided that they couldn't just bar them altogether from fielding an 18's team on the grounds of the form that it was going to take, so they did what they thought was the next best thing to discourage the concept.

From our point of view all it really achieved was to send those kids who decided that they wanted to play Premier Cup to another club a bit closer to home instead.

Thank goodness for the new zoning rules.

Who would have thought that the U/18's Challenge Cup GF would have made page 7 of the Sunday paper......

Also begs the question who provided them with the story?

Warming the Bench
    Footy final cancelled after all-in brawl

AN all-in player brawl forced the cancellation of an under-18s AFL grand final yesterday.

The punch-up involving at least 15 players from the Southern Power and Sydney University sides occurred just before 10am at Blacktown Olympic Park.

No players were injured but umpires abandoned the game with 10 minutes to play giving Sydney University the title as they were leading by 88 points.

How does an all-in brawl only involve "at least 15 players"?

Quote Originally Posted by mountainsofpain View Post
    Footy final cancelled after all-in brawl

AN all-in player brawl forced the cancellation of an under-18s AFL grand final yesterday.

The punch-up involving at least 15 players from the Southern Power and Sydney University sides occurred just before 10am at Blacktown Olympic Park.

No players were injured but umpires abandoned the game with 10 minutes to play giving Sydney University the title as they were leading by 88 points.

How does an all-in brawl only involve "at least 15 players"?
    And how does a 16.14-110 to 2.5-17 fulltime score equate to an 88 point loss?

[QUOTE=The Spoiler;458320]
    Quote Originally Posted by Midfield View Post

What number umpire are you? The coaches aren't on the field "controlling" the game.It isn't under 12s! You blame everyone else but the umpires."Whinging players"........ which group of stakeholders would that comment come from? Is this a prevailing view? It might explain a few things.
    Ha! Sorry champ i'm not an umpire, i cant stand it when they blow free kicks and would probably set a world record for the least number of free kicks if i umpired a game. I stand by my comment that the umpires are never to blame (sure they make mistakes but are still never to blame) and its just a way for weak people to vent when they are not good enough. You dont see Brett Kirk abuse the umpire cause he is man enough to attack the ball rather than take the cop out approach and blame the ump. No, the coaches dont control the game, but their alleged conduct during this game is inexcusable and the finger of blame should be pointed at no other.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by DLH View Post
    I think it was to try and deter kids from travelling from all parts of Sydney to "just" play Challenge Cup. They decided that they couldn't just bar them altogether from fielding an 18's team on the grounds of the form that it was going to take, so they did what they thought was the next best thing to discourage the concept.

From our point of view all it really achieved was to send those kids who decided that they wanted to play Premier Cup to another club a bit closer to home instead.

Thank goodness for the new zoning rules.
    Surely there must have been a better way for the AFL to "send a message" than to turn the Challenge Cup into a lopsided Sydney Uni benefit at the expense of the other teams in the competition?

Take that side out of the Challenge Cup and you would have had a pretty reasonable (and fair) competition with quite possibly a competitive finals series to go with it.
    Last edited by mountainsofpain; 13th September 2009 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mountainsofpain View Post
    Surely there must have been a better way for the AFL to "send a message" than to turn the Challenge Cup into a lopsided Sydney Uni benefit at the expense of the other teams in the competition?

Take that side out of the Challenge Cup and you would have had a pretty reasonable (and fair) competition with quite possibly a competitive finals series to go with it.
    I guess it was a risk that didn't work out. The AFL could not stop a new team being admitted to the competition and there were no policies in place to stop a club from trowelling the whole of Sydney to get a rep side together. As DLH said, a few dropped out and went to other clubs, but the damage was done. At least some good has come out of it in with the new zoning laws which would have stopped this thing happening 12 months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by ShortHalfHead View Post
    At least some good has come out of it in with the new zoning laws which would have stopped this thing happening 12 months ago.
    What's the breakdown of junior clubs to senior clubs, exactly? As in, who is aligned to who? I'd be willing to bet London to a brick that it'll turn out teams just as lopsided as they are currently.

[QUOTE=Midfield;458329]
    Quote Originally Posted by The Spoiler View Post

Ha! Sorry champ i'm not an umpire, i cant stand it when they blow free kicks and would probably set a world record for the least number of free kicks if i umpired a game. I stand by my comment that the umpires are never to blame (sure they make mistakes but are still never to blame) and its just a way for weak people to vent when they are not good enough. You dont see Brett Kirk abuse the umpire cause he is man enough to attack the ball rather than take the cop out approach and blame the ump. No, the coaches dont control the game, but their alleged conduct during this game is inexcusable and the finger of blame should be pointed at no other.
    At last, a voice of reason! ... and yes u/18's ARE 12 year olds ... with whiskers! ... the only people debating that would be u/18's!

Dealing with adversity by resorting to violence is worst example of unsporstmanlike behavior, not to mention a criminal act, and the act of a coward when incited from behind the safety of the boundary.

... a lack of character from THE COACH was the problem, which should see his coaching career shortened up quite smartly with any luck!

Got off light. Tribunal from last week's game:

Sydney uni #2 Striking 0 weeks
    Sydney Uni #21 Striking 2 matches

S/Power # 9 Striking 5 matches
    S/Power # 18 Striking 2 matches
    S/Power # 19 Striking 3 matches
    S/Power #22 Striking 7 matches
    Last edited by ShortHalfHead; 17th September 2009 at 02:37 PM.

Must've been some nasty blues, considering i threw one punch and got four weeks from those morons at the tribunal. I'm glad my sentence wasn't the longest of the season.

Senior Player
    Pekay the 7 weeks was from three seperate reports.

One of the guys got two weeks for attempting to strike

Pk the kid threw 4 punches & 1 that missed!

Not like you who threw a punch whilst the player wasnt looking

he got 7 for 4 punches YOU got 4 for 1 dog act
    As you keep on saying at RG's you should have got 10

Quote Originally Posted by Pekay View Post
    Must've been some nasty blues, considering i threw one punch and got four weeks from those morons at the tribunal. I'm glad my sentence wasn't the longest of the season.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast