Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Looks like the COL flap isn't going away

Looks like the COL flap isn't going away

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Eddie is the biggest whinger about inequlities but no club has a bigger imbalance their way than Collingwood who get a dream draw every year.

Carlton wants to talk about our COL concession, what about the pathetic shonky rejigging of Judd's cardboard contract? A heap of his $ in LAST YEARS salary cap and a heap more in the Injury List concessional payments. FFS could the AFL have bent over and got reamed by Carlton any more than that?
    Judd's original cardboad contract was out of line but somehow got the ok from Vladland.

COL should not only be be related to the actual COL in each city but the number of players that have to relocate city to play for you.

Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth clubs are at an advantage because a large proportion of their players don't have to move city or even house to play for them. Sydney, GWS, Brisbane and Gold Coast have the overwhelming majority of their list from outside their city.

Here's the number of home state players on every teams list

Richmond - 29
    NM - 28
    WCE - 28
    WB - 27
    Ess - 26
    Melb - 23
    St.K - 22
    Geel - 22
    Haw - 21
    Carl - 21
    Coll - 20
    Freo - 17
    Port - 17
    Adel - 16
    GCS - 9
    Sydney - 7
    GWS - 6
    Bris - 4

About time the AFL and the power Melbourne clubs had a look at this as it certainly has an effect on attracting and retaining players.
    Nice work, also QLD and NSW have the weakest local league to draw talent from. That too should be considered!

I can respect their right to an opinion, but only if it's based on factually accurate stuff. Carlton's president, and John Ralph are either lying, mischief-making or both. Why don't they run something with it that relates facts along with the ranting to show how much of a goober this bloke is?
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

More whingeing re salary cap,Carlton joins in.

Carlton have now joined with the other great unwashed masses in complaining about Sydneys salary cap allowance,after what theyve done with Judd over the years ie Visy i cant see how they have the nerve to jump on board with this.Maybe its just a tactic to avert attention away from the recent Judd/Visy news.

Personally i was surprised when we got Tippett after winning a flag but if it was within the rules of the AFL for me theres no issue.They are having a go at our club when the AFL makes these rules.I cant wait for the day we lose this extra allowance and still kick all their arses when it comes to recruiting.

Living down south all ive heard for years is oh the afl helped sydney get their flags,and you couldnt do it without the extra money etc etc,the fact is we have the best recruiters and talent scouts by the length of the straight,and yes maybe not so many big name players would come our way but we spot talent thats tailored to our needs better than anyone else,which makes the big clubs very jealous.

Cookies must be enabled | Herald Sun

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by On-Baller View Post
    Carlton have now joined with the other great unwashed masses in complaining about Sydneys salary cap allowance,after what theyve done with Judd over the years ie Visy i cant see how they have the nerve to jump on board with this.Maybe its just a tactic to avert attention away from the recent Judd/Visy news.

Personally i was surprised when we got Tippett after winning a flag but if it was within the rules of the AFL for me theres no issue.They are having a go at our club when the AFL makes these rules.I cant wait for the day we lose this extra allowance and still kick all their arses when it comes to recruiting.

Living down south all ive heard for years is oh the afl helped sydney get their flags,and you couldnt do it without the extra money etc etc,the fact is we have the best recruiters and talent scouts by the length of the straight,and yes maybe not so many big name players would come our way but we spot talent thats tailored to our needs better than anyone else,which makes the big clubs very jealous.

Cookies must be enabled | Herald Sun
    I wonder if we would be having this problem if we lost the GF by 10 points?

Quote Originally Posted by Dosser View Post
    I wonder if we would be having this problem if we lost the GF by 10 points?
    Wouldn't even rate a mention. A lot os clubs just dont realise that if it hadn't been for the relocation of the Swans, abiet, with very little VFL (AFL) support, there wouldnt be a national competition. But thats irrelievant, because the AFL has been pouring money into us for years to keep us afloat. Or so the story goes. Try telling that to Mike Willesee and Co.
    You Just Do Not Get a Better Grand Final Win Than That

Eddie is the biggest whinger about inequlities but no club has a bigger imbalance their way than Collingwood who get a dream draw every year.

Carlton wants to talk about our COL concession, what about the pathetic shonky rejigging of Judd's cardboard contract? A heap of his $ in LAST YEARS salary cap and a heap more in the Injury List concessional payments. FFS could the AFL have bent over and got reamed by Carlton any more than that?
    Judd's original cardboad contract was out of line but somehow got the ok from Vladland.

COL should not only be be related to the actual COL in each city but the number of players that have to relocate city to play for you.

Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth clubs are at an advantage because a large proportion of their players don't have to move city or even house to play for them. Sydney, GWS, Brisbane and Gold Coast have the overwhelming majority of their list from outside their city.

Here's the number of home state players on every teams list

Richmond - 29
    NM - 28
    WCE - 28
    WB - 27
    Ess - 26
    Melb - 23
    St.K - 22
    Geel - 22
    Haw - 21
    Carl - 21
    Coll - 20
    Freo - 17
    Port - 17
    Adel - 16
    GCS - 9
    Sydney - 7
    GWS - 6
    Bris - 4

About time the AFL and the power Melbourne clubs had a look at this as it certainly has an effect on attracting and retaining players.
    Excellent data analysis. I thought the disparity between Freo and WCE was interesting.

Colless comes out swinging.

And full points for wearing his Swans premiership guernsey.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    FFS could the AFL have bent over and got reamed by Carlton any more than that?
    "Reamed"? Such a pejorative term, I suspect it was a mutually consensual act.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

These feral clubs are complaining that we are using the additional allowance in our cap to lure marquee players. Obviously, there complaints are not based on fact, but only perceptions.

I have a thought on how this could be easily resolved.

Why don't the AFL provide us with the same salary cap as all other clubs. The Swans would then need to recruit/trade/delist based on that cap. Once the list is finalised, the AFL would then make the COL payments direct to players (based on their wage) or give them the option to salary sacrifice into super.

That way the other clubs couldn't complain that we used the larger salary cap to entice players.

The COL already works along those lines. It's a loading paid on top of each salary. But it's paid by the Swans, not the AFL, which I think makes sense. Saves the AFL having to set up its own player HR department. You would think that the COL payments are audited each year (but the way the AFL is going these days, I wonder).

Quote Originally Posted by R-1 View Post
    Well of course a Carlton president would struggle to understand how a club can have a premiership-winning team and be under the cap.
    Carlton have been trying to drstroy us and take ove rthe SCG since the 80's, so no surprises here
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

The gloves are off

Sydney at war with the Blues

Colless on Greg Swann:

''I think Greg's comments were prejudicial to the interests of the AFL and I think he should be sanctioned,'' he said. ''The reputation of the game has been sullied ? and I think Greg needs to look in the mirror. No one, including Greg, has bothered to contact us to understand this issue.

''I would say to Greg, 'Get your own club debt free and hopefully play in finals'. Quite frankly, his comments were pathetic.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast