Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Looks like the COL flap isn't going away

Hmmm Carlton lecturing on salary cap. Next we will have advice from S&don on our fitness regime.

Caro loves this rubbish it is pretty boring and Richard is smarter to not respond. The need for salary cap increase is obvious - and the fact we could not hold onto players without it

Goes up to 11
    Some of the comments online following this story are just ludicrous - some supporters are obviously not intelligent enough to understand the simple logic of the COL allowance....

Veterans List
    The serial salalry cap cheaters and tankers have a cheek questioning how we can afford Tippett and not offload players. Well dur Mr Swan have a look at our list management and recruiting and it might be clear to you dipstick. These blokes scrutinise other clubs recruiting and surely this drongo would know that we had a big slice of around $400,000 that became available when Bradshaw's carryover salary dropped out of the system. And surely Essendon are not going to hop into us given their history of salary cap rorting and now questionable supplement use. Hypocracy at its brilliant best.

Hawthorn sqealing also; gee I hope Buddy gives them the lemonade at the end of the year.

By the way I have been staying at Caringbah in Sydney with a friend for the past 5 days and have done my own salary cap comparison on prices. The Cronulla fruit and veg shop has bags of oranges for $4.99 and bananas at $6.99kg (gold nuggets inside these). Melbourne prices; $3.00 and $3.99. So there it is, a difinitive answer to this vexed question.

Blog Entries

Disappointing. I was enjoying that.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

ROK:

And as the Swans defend their extra salary cap dispensation, O'Keefe said critics had no idea of the sacrifices made by the Sydney players to keep a successful list together.
    "Living here everything is expensive - food, coffee, parking and accommodation is ridiculous. Sydney is the third-most expensive city in the world. When you look at guys who come up here, in any other state they would have already bought a house but up here they are still renting. If you want to live in the eastern suburbs in Sydney, you are starting at a million dollars.

"You look at every good side over time, there is a bit of give and take and sacrifice (with contracts), and they are the things you are willing to do to keep that team together.''
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Looks like the COL flap isn't going away

Quote Originally Posted by ShockOfHair View Post
    It's true, I live in a very small 2br terrace in Surry Hills, no parking, no aircon, no built ins, very tiny outdoor area taken up by a clothesline and it's just over $600 a week. The estimated value of this house is around $1m and it's a shoebox! My room just fits a queen size bed, a clothes rack and a chest of drawers. Surely there are similarly priced properties in Melbourne, but anecdotally I've had some friends move down to Melbourne and you definitely get more value for money down there. The COLA is obviously to help attract and retain interstate players who'll need it for the additional relocation and setup costs. Gaah

Blog Entries
    The main grievance that has come out this morning with the COL is it should be used for kids on $70K, not the ones on $700K.
    Sydney is more expensive than Melbourne, which is fair enough, but then other cities are cheaper so it should be more "equitable" across the locations.

Senior Player
    I suspect the solution will end up being player-specific loadings. Start it at 30% for rookies, then 15% or 20% for players below the median contract, then taper it to zero at some point above that. Give Perth maybe half what we get.

Alternatively, just have the AFL contribute to Sydney players' rent and mortgages directly.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    The main grievance that has come out this morning with the COL is it should be used for kids on $70K, not the ones on $700K.
    Sydney is more expensive than Melbourne, which is fair enough, but then other cities are cheaper so it should be more "equitable" across the locations.
    Well that makes a lot of sense, and I have no grievance at all with that

I'm starting see the value of GWS. They think the COL should be raised AND the league might subsidise Buddy's salary if he moves north. Is there still a roof on Lexus Centre?

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Port Adelaide should have a COL (Crap Often Levy) of about 65% so they can entice and keep talent.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast