Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Looks like the COL flap isn't going away

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by DamY View Post
    It's true, I live in a very small 2br terrace in Surry Hills, no parking, no aircon, no built ins, very tiny outdoor area taken up by a clothesline and it's just over $600 a week. The estimated value of this house is around $1m and it's a shoebox! My room just fits a queen size bed, a clothes rack and a chest of drawers. Surely there are similarly priced properties in Melbourne, but anecdotally I've had some friends move down to Melbourne and you definitely get more value for money down there. The COLA is obviously to help attract and retain interstate players who'll need it for the additional relocation and setup costs. Gaah
    Strewth you would have to rob banks for a living to pay that much a week. Reasonable digs at Docklands in Melbourne are around $500pw.

I rang up Gerard Whateley on talkback on ABC radio yesterday. they were talking about the COL, and Whateley pooh-poohed what the Melbourne based clubs had to say. Jon Faine did ask whether WA should get it as well. If the COL has gone up there....why not.

It was only then that I heard that GWS was pushing for a COL increase.

Interestingly I was not the only Swans supporter to ring in about it.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Looks like the COL flap isn't going away

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Strewth you would have to rob banks for a living to pay that much a week. Reasonable digs at Docklands in Melbourne are around $500pw.
    I try and balance it out in my head, if I lived further out, I'd be paying an extra $25/$30 in transport to and from work by train, and then also what value do I place on living close (20 minute walk) to work, with shifts that can start at 6:30am and others that finish at 12:30am? Also the location is close to everything I need working walking distance (supermarket, restaurants and cafes, the SCG!!!) so I have justified it to an extent. But yeah living alone in Potts Point would easily be $300 a week for a studio, $350 for a one bedroom.

Kernahan & Carter

I see they are at it again. Stephen Kernahan and Colin Carter are having a go. Carter, who was with the AFL should know better and in my opinion is just being divisive. I am glad Colless has hit back. I wish Vlad would come out and tell the truth. The AFL audits the Swans every year to make sure the living allowance is spread between all the players. This is shoddy by the AFL and creating trouble between the clubs.

Swans chief now turns on Geelong

Blog Entries
    Would love to be a fly on the wall on March 20.

Senior Player
    I'm staggered that Carlton can be rewarded with players such as Kreuzer, Gibbs, Murphy etc for rorting the salary cap.
    I'm staggered that so many powerhouse Melbourne based clubs get to play so many home and away games at the MCG.
    I'm staggered that so many powerhouse Melbourne based clubs need to travel interstate so infrequently.
    I'm staggered that Essendon and Collingwood have a monopoly on the ANZAC Day fixture.
    I'm staggered that so many powerhouse Melbourne based clubs never have to play Geelong in Geelong.
    I'm staggered that Richmond has had so many top ten draft picks in recent years and only been able to make the finals twice in the past 30 years.
    I'm staggered that various former players of the Hawthorn Football Club still believe they should have won the 2012 Grand Final.
    I'm staggered that the Grand Final must ALWAYS be played on the MCG, the home ground (or as good as) of so many powerhouse Melbourne based clubs.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

I agree with you on all but the bit about the MCG - that is the best ground in the country and has the capacity that no other ground has the Grand Final should remain there as it is the home of footy - period.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    I agree with you on all but the bit about the MCG - that is the best ground in the country and has the capacity that no other ground has the Grand Final should remain there as it is the home of footy - period.
    And I agree with you as well. However, in the context of an argument about unfairness, it could be argued that it is, well, unfair.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Colless made a reasonable point about Geelong. I recall all those stories about players taking pay cuts. And that was a squad regarded as chock full of stars, unlike our Cortinas. Even though they lost Gary they made him a pretty generous offer.

The Swans players have also made sacrifices to keep the list together, but no-one in the Melbourne footy hothouse seems to have noticed it.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Blog Entries
    How did Hawthorn afford Lake?

Quote Originally Posted by snajik View Post
    And I agree with you as well. However, in the context of an argument about unfairness, it could be argued that it is, well, unfair.
    Yeah good point - and to think I followed Carlton for 30odd years - I couldn't believe the crap that they came out with - as the oils used to sing "shooooort memory"!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    How did Hawthorn afford Lake?
    Backended his contract. On peanuts this year but big money next year after Buddy pisses off...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast