Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Sweeping changes' to Academy and Father/Son bidding system

Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    I think a media conference from the Swans before the bidding process stating that they are prepared to let Heeney go if he is too expensive will have opposition clubs thinking twice about applying a Swans screwing strategy.
    I beg to differ, but this would achieve little. It's either blatantly obvious or clubs would see it as a rouse to put them off over bidding. Either way can't see that it would put another club off bidding. IMO

Interviews with Heeney by opposition clubs will also demonstrate that Heeney is Red and White through and through with a preference for Sydney as a lifestyle destination.
    Draft tampering. Only free agents and restricted free agents can voice a preference with any weight

Interviews with Heeney by opposition clubs will also demonstrate that Heeney is Red and White through and through with a preference for Sydney as a lifestyle destination.
    Back to this "Bondi lifestyle" thing?

Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    Back to this "Bondi lifestyle" thing?
    Its about time we returned to that old gem - its not like trading mitchell, as well as the eddie and kochie love in haven't already been done to death
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    I beg to differ, but this would achieve little. It's either blatantly obvious or clubs would see it as a rouse to put them off over bidding. Either way can't see that it would put another club off bidding. IMO

Draft tampering. Only free agents and restricted free agents can voice a preference with any weight
    Chad Wingard did a reasonably good job at suggesting to GWS he wouldn't be a good target

People need to understand that is very important to know whether or not a player is prepared to move to a certain club regardless of his current status. I agree that only free agents can set those conditions, but I would think that drafting a player that doesn't want to come to your club is pointless as well. Sydney Swans have learned that very well (Grant, Rocca, etc.). The only reason Eddie and others want to make those changes is because they know that a player like Heeney doesn't want to play for their club or move to Melbourne, so they want to find a way to "punish" him (or Sydney Swans) for that. It is quite possible that players like Heeney probably joined the Academy with a (probably) promise that they will stay and play in Sydney (or NSW). The worst thing that can happened out of all this is that the players like Heeney might be lost to AFL for good. There are other codes played in Sydney or NSW and codes like soccer are on the rise. AFL will have to remember that.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    Another pathetic set up on his show tonight...(I hang my head in shame and have told myself ...don't watch it, lifes too short.)

Poor excuse for a human...Derm...Reading from a script I presume, says " Gee Sydney just have every good player, it's frightening" ...

To which Eddie quickly chimes in,"not yet they don't, still got the kids to come, seriously", he says shaking his head.
    I thought Gillon McIineffectual told him to stop slagging off the Swans? Does this mean Andrew can make like a budgie and Tweet?
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    I thought Gillon McIineffectual told him to stop slagging off the Swans? Does this mean Andrew can make like a budgie and Tweet?
    I was distracted by your end-note R'n'R.

I knew that the Rose of Denmark no longer existed because I reckon I've had a beer in every one of South Melbourne's numerous pubs (and there is probably and equal number of former hotels that are now re-purposed). In the good old days of early Melbourne, there was literally a pub on just about every corner in (largely) working class South Melbourne.

This is what the building now looks like:
    Google Maps!

Not sure why the Google Street View link didn't work but if you look up 152 Napier Street you will see.
    Last edited by Swansongster; 21st July 2014 at 02:24 PM.

Senior Player
    There's an assumption in this thread that all Academy players are Swans fans.. I know a kid in the Academy who bleeds another club's colours.
    C'mon Chels!

Emma C Reid was the first licensee of the Rose of Denmark in 1867. The hotel was closed on 31 December 1920 and eventually converted to a private residence. Extensive alterations took place in 1981, converting the property to a stylish townhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by penga View Post
    There's an assumption in this thread that all Academy players are Swans fans.. I know a kid in the Academy who bleeds another club's colours.
    Funny you should say that today, on Saturday I met and had a deep discussion re footy and the academy with the dad of a talented academy under 12 kid who thinks the same, so much so that he always wears his Tigers singlet under his Swans Academy guernsey so the Tiges are always next to his heart (I kid you not, his very words)!!!!

Veterans List
    I drove two Academy kids to the 2012 GF - one passionate Swans (still is but since left the Academy) and the other passionate Hawks. Two of us enjoyed the long drive to Sydney listening to the coverage of the Swans win.

I think we'll get a reasonable outcome on this. The AFL is more sensible than the parochial Victorian club presidents, who want to kill the goose and the golden eggs (yeah, obvious Swans pun there).

The AFL knows it has to give the northern clubs enough incentive to keep the academies running or they'll close. McGuire and Newbold aren't exactly brimming with ideas about how to attract new players in NSW and Qld. In that vacuum the status quo will survive, with some kind of cap and quota system.

I wondering what will inspire the next bout of Swans trash talking.

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast