Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 2018 NEAFL Grand Final

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    I believe there are plans of implementing an AFL reserves comp. I remember reading an article on it several months ago. It certainly needs to be done because the northern states are severely disadvantaged.
    It will surely happen at some stage I feel - just a matter of when rather than if. Certainly would be a huge blow to the NEAFL, but not sure in time it would be such a bad thing for the VFL/SANFL/WAFL.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Best Players: J. Rose, C. O''Riordan, J. Dawson, J. Bell, R. Stoddart

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post

In the context of the game, I was very pleased with the way Stoddart played. As a first year player he shows most of the signs of progressing to an AFL level game. He often found himself with the ball, under pressure, and no one around to lend support.
    Funny how we all see the same game very differently. I don't quite see 'it' with Stoddart at the moment at all - he gets a reasonable amount of pill, but I feel his decision making is shaky to say the last, even when not under a lot of pressure.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Don’t mind being in the NEAFL. Don’t like the restrictions. Given our lists don’t allow us to field a full side of listed players and many of our bottom end listed players are young, under developed and speculative they don’t offer much of an advantage; add to that injuries during the season further reduces our listed players at any time, I don’t think we necessarily have that much of an advantage- especially against the better non-AFL sides. Just my opinion after another shattering loss (I’m a bit over them ATM).
    Yes, I think there is probably scope to tinker with the eligibility rules.
    One thing that I like about the NEAFL, is that it should become increasingly reliant on players developed through the Northern academies. Hopefully, this will give us and the other three AFL clubs, more say in the administration. Which could develop a competition, with less direct administration from the AFL, and less influence from some of the more parochial elements of the NEAFL. (No real evidence for the last bit, just a hunch).

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Funny how we all see the same game very differently. I don't quite see 'it' with Stoddart at the moment at all - he gets a reasonable amount of pill, but I feel his decision making is shaky to say the last, even when not under a lot of pressure.
    I'm not too worried about his decision making at this time, especially if he's trying to do something creative. He's looking for options and trying to take the game on. He has pace and good skills.

Usually, at an early stage of a player's career, I focus more of the positives and figure that many of the weaknesses in a game are fixable with coaching and experience. To give one example, Stoddart is a much better player than Aliir was in his first year at the club and it wasn't until his second year that he showed his potential. But his game has always been error prone with questionable decision making. It has mostly been a matter of actualizing his potential, while continuing to work away on his weaknesses. So if one is viewing Stoddart from that perspective, you might see his game differently.

Someone like Bell is more difficult to read. He has some class about him, but it's not clear what the next steps are to improve his game, because he seems to have the tools to be playing better right now. But I'm hopeful that he just naturally improves with time. We'll have a better idea on him next year. A lot of players show a big improvement in their second year after the coaching staff have an opportunity to review their performances during the break and get a specific development program for them from the start of pre-season training. Then we discover how 'coachable' they are and it becomes clearer what kind of development path we might expect down the track.

Can someone clarify today's 19 player situation.
    It seems it was only for 33 seconds.
    But Brandon Jack on Twitter stated that Southport had 19 for the all match. Surely not?
    Can anyone clear this up.

Also James Rose. What is his contract situation?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Best Players: J. Rose, C. O''Riordan, J. Dawson, J. Bell, R. Stoddart
    Bell must have had a good first half( which I missed) as he was pretty ordinary in the 2nd.
    The others were all very good.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post

Someone like Bell is more difficult to read. He has some class about him, but it's not clear what the next steps are to improve his game, because he seems to have the tools to be playing better right now. But I'm hopeful that he just naturally improves with time. We'll have a better idea on him next year. A lot of players show a big improvement in their second year after the coaching staff have an opportunity to review their performances during the break and get a specific development program for them from the start of pre-season training. Then we discover how 'coachable' they are and it becomes clearer what kind of development path we might expect down the track.

There are lots of things that could rapidly improve Bell's game - greater confidence, better endurance, a better understanding of the need to work when your and/or your team doesn't have the ball. I actually thought this was an encouraging game from Bell in respect of the latter. He didn't have the same influence on the game with ball in hand that he's had at times this year, but I thought his off the ball running, tackling and pressure stuff was a big improvement.

If I were a development coach at the Swans, I'd instigate weekly Malceski film nights. I'd gather all the developing players together on a Wednesday evening- particularly the smaller ones but it wouldn't necessarily hurt the talls to join in too - and sit them down to watch replays of Nick Malceski playing in the AFLACT circa 2004-5. I know the standard of that competition was a few notches down from the NEAFL, but that makes no difference to the sheer amount of running Malceski used to do. It was common to see him kick out after a behind, or be first receiver, get involved a couple more times as the ball moved down the ground, and for him to be in acres of space in the forward line to take an uncontested mark. His work rate was out of this world.

Players like Stoddart and Bell also sometimes benefit from playing in better sides. There are some skills that if you can't execute at a lower level you won't be able to as the tempo and pressure steps up. But for players who rely on others to feed them the ball, and to run to good positions to receive, the quality of who you have around you makes a lot of difference. You see this not just with certain kinds of player stepping up a level, but also with players who are already established AFL regulars. The stars tend to play well regardless of how well their team is going, but B and C graders look a whole lot better in a good team than a poor team. It's been discussed this year specifically in respect of Richmond. They are so confident in their game plan and their team mates that they spread when their team wins the ball, they take risks knowing team mates will help them come off, and they don't second guess what a team mate is going to do, or is capable of.

And it's also why we usually see a tipping point in the Swans (and other AFL side) NEAFL teams, usually around the 12 or so listed player mark. When you have a certain number of players who have the strength and nous to win their fair share of contests, and don't turn the ball over every other possession, it makes it easier for the academy players who are in the side to make a useful contribution, and for the listed players to play to their strengths. It's harder for a Dawson or Rose, say, to run to the right spots in the forward line to be dangerous when only one possession chain in four is likely to make it that far.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    There are lots of things that could rapidly improve Bell's game - greater confidence, better endurance, a better understanding of the need to work when your and/or your team doesn't have the ball. I actually thought this was an encouraging game from Bell in respect of the latter. He didn't have the same influence on the game with ball in hand that he's had at times this year, but I thought his off the ball running, tackling and pressure stuff was a big improvement.
    That's what I meant about Bell improving. There are some intangibles that are hard to project. It's difficult to say if a player will ever play with great confidence, unless perhaps they are already playing a high level. Improving one's work rate must be a common theme for all players, but many are simply not able to achieve a high enough standard. But like you, I've seen improvement with Bell in several of the more tangible areas of the game. I'm more hopeful now than at the start of the year.

Something that surprised me this year was the apparent lack of confidence from Dawson at AFL level. He looked really nervous. But I suppose there's every reason for a player to be very nervous and unsure in their first few games. When someone is dominating at NEAFL level, it's hard to project how much confidence they take to the next level. On the other hand, I thought O'Riordan came in and looked confident from the start. He really should have stayed in the senior side.

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Apparently the interchange stewards were told at the start of the last quarter, one of the players went to the rooms for treatment. Then they noticed that player was actually on field a few minutes in.
    People are so concerned about the interchange breach. But I am more concerned about this losing mentality the Swans are developing.Can look like amillion dollars then they crack under finals pressure. In both firsts and seconds. It's becoming a worrying trend. Thought todays game would be at least close!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post
    People are so concerned about the interchange breach. But I am more concerned about this losing mentality the Swans are developing.Can look like amillion dollars then they crack under finals pressure. In both firsts and seconds. It's becoming a worrying trend. Thought todays game would be at least close!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I thought it would be closer than it was - but don't underplay the fact that as a group, our topups today were pretty weak to say the least (both in body and performance), especially against a pretty seasoned opposition with enough AFL-related experience and some very good footballers in their own right. Had we been able to put out a similar team to last week (i.e. with 4 more listed players), it might have made some difference. But disappointing nonetheless of course.

Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post
    People are so concerned about the interchange breach.Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Not sure anyone here is concerned about the 19th player breach (if by that you mean people think a different result should have been decided). But interested, yes. Not something that often happens!