Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Round 23: the other games. The prelude to finals and the prelude to Mad Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    There is that of course. So much and in fact all of the messiness is actually people in the media, former players, coaches, the
    drovers dog feeling the need to chime in every five seconds. Their yabbering is the messiness. Everyone could just shut up
    and let the coach and players do their thing. Anyway, not much chance of that I suppose.
    The media salivate if there is even a possibility of a coach being sacked. They have had a field day with Buckley, Teague and poor old Stewy Dew this year.
    Stewy Dew has been particularly poorly treated. No one from the Suns has even suggested he's under review.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    The media salivate if there is even a possibility of a coach being sacked. They have had a field day with Buckley, Teague and poor old Stewy Dew this year.
    Stewy Dew has been particularly poorly treated. No one from the Suns has even suggested he's under review.
    I know. They (the media) get such joy from watching and joining in the demise of the coaches. It's kind of gross. I know coaches are well paid
    (for a while) and they know what's coming as far as media scrutiny goes, but Stewy won't be making enough money to keep him up the front
    of the plane for very long after he gets fired. Have you noticed also how lovingly the cameras focus on Stewy's belly every chance they get?
    As if to say, "hey look at this fat guy, how can he be an AFL coach". It's so ****ing trashy.
    Last edited by KTigers; 26th August 2021 at 11:24 AM.

Regular in the Side
    Well Teague has now been sacked! Media have got there story there and now can focus on Dew.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    So Carlton gave - among other reasons - for sacking him a view that their list was underperforming. They still don't get it. They have an average list at best, can't develop players, recruit badly and are utterly ordinary. Long may their delusion continue, and whether it is Ross Lyon or someone else, they're about to find out the hard way.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    So Carlton gave - among other reasons - for sacking him a view that their list was underperforming. They still don't get it. They have an average list at best, can't develop players, recruit badly and are utterly ordinary. Long may their delusion continue, and whether it is Ross Lyon or someone else, they're about to find out the hard way.
    On the one hand, I don't really want Lyon to get the job, as I thought his public auditioning was a bit tacky. On the other hand, getting the Carlton job, may be an extended punishment, rather than a reward.

It does appear that he's strong favourite to take over, since a Carlton spokesperson has just been talking about how Teague's game plan was too focused on attack, at the expense of the defence. So, it looks like it's over to Ross, to implement his ideas on defensive structures. Which for Carlton fans, may be an extended punishment, rather than a reward.
    Last edited by dejavoodoo44; 26th August 2021 at 03:53 PM.

Carlton have a good list. If Ross gets a good structure around him, no reason they cant be bottom of the 8 contenders.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    On the one hand, I don't really want Lyon to get the job, as I thought his public auditioning was a bit tacky. On the other hand, getting the Carlton job, maybe an extended punishment, rather than a reward.

It does appear that he's strong favourite to take over, since a Carlton spokesperson has just been talking about how Teague's game plan was too focused on attack, at the expense of the defence. So, it looks like it's over to Ross, to implement his ideas on defensive structures. Which for Carlton fans, maybe an extended punishment, rather than a reward.
    What Lyon did was disgraceful

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Carlton have a good list. If Ross gets a good structure around him, no reason they cant be bottom of the 8 contenders.
    Gonna disagree, not because I don't think in a good year a list with McKay, Walsh, Weitering, C Curnow (fit), Saad, De Koening as he develops and Cripps can't sneak into the finals.

But that's their limit. And that's the problem. They are happy to muddle along - recruiting overrated types like Williams, or failing to develop their young players properly (and that goes well beyond any coach).

Don't even compare Carlton to us and the hard yards we've done the last few years. Right now, North are closer to a flag. They are building a deep and quality midfield (albeit a few years from maturity), have some emerging players at either end of the ground, and yes, some holes to fill - but the right coach and culture to give themselves a chance.

Carlton is footy's version of my dog chasing its tail.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    On the one hand, I don't really want Lyon to get the job, as I thought his public auditioning was a bit tacky. On the other hand, getting the Carlton job, maybe an extended punishment, rather than a reward.

It does appear that he's strong favourite to take over, since a Carlton spokesperson has just been talking about how Teague's game plan was too focused on attack, at the expense of the defence. So, it looks like it's over to Ross, to implement his ideas on defensive structures. Which for Carlton fans, maybe an extended punishment, rather than a reward.
    Lyon is a very ordinary human being. I'm so glad that he didn't stay around when he was considered the front runner for the Swans job but went to St Kilda instead. There I remember the night they lost a final and his farewell speech to the broken hearted players included naming those he was delisting. Then he snuck out of the club altogether, leaving them in the lurch for Freo. He has managed to never win a Premiership with some very talented teams so long may that continue.

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Gonna disagree, not because I don't think in a good year a list with McKay, Walsh, Weitering, C Curnow (fit), Saad, De Koening as he develops and Cripps can't sneak into the finals.

But that's their limit. And that's the problem. They are happy to muddle along - recruiting overrated types like Williams, or failing to develop their young players properly (and that goes well beyond any coach).
    Williams problem is his salary, and what impact that has on managing their cap. If we came to them on $500k, no one would care.

Don't even compare Carlton to us and the hard yards we've done the last few years. Right now, North are closer to a flag. They are building a deep and quality midfield (albeit a few years from maturity), have some emerging players at either end of the ground, and yes, some holes to fill - but the right coach and culture to give themselves a chance.
    North have been the media darlings, which is incredible for a team that has remained dead last from round 1 to round 23. Talk about false hope. They are rubish, and will remain rubish for a long, long time.
    Cartlon may not win a flag with this generation, but they should be where Essendon is right now.

I know there are strong feelings about the Hawks on this forum.

Does anybody feel satisfied that the Hawks are now going to have a significant amount of their 2022 football cap allocated to funding Clarko’s overseas study tours.

By not taking another coaching job, Clarko has inflicted maximum football department pain on Sam Mitchell.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    Lyon is a very ordinary human being. I'm so glad that he didn't stay around when he was considered the front runner for the Swans job but went to St Kilda instead. There I remember the night they lost a final and his farewell speech to the broken hearted players included naming those he was delisting. Then he snuck out of the club altogether, leaving them in the lurch for Freo. He has managed to never win a Premiership with some very talented teams so long may that continue.
    Lyon might just be the perfect match for Carlton

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast