Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Match thread: Prelim final; Swans v Magpies.

Veterans List
    Pretty good summation of the match by The Roar even though it initially starts out like a Magpies whinge. They reckon we deserve to be in the GF and have every chance of winning.

AFL Finals Focus: They made it by the skin of their teeth - but here's why the Swans can still conquer the Cats in the big dance

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Yep Rowy stood up at big moments late, alongside Mills, and Errol was magnificent all day I thought - he is made for finals footy that kid!
    All our younger players were wonderful in their own ways. And I'm confident none is going to be overwhelmed by the occasion next week. Chad's second quarter, in particular, was super, and as you say, Errol was wonderful throughout. Rowbottom was his normal terrier self all match.

But JMac had a handful of wonderful moments, Braedon had to adjust to not playing at senior level for many weeks but was able to adjust to the speed of the game well and it was his kick to Papley that resulted in the "sealer". Stephens just kept on running and running and running. McDonald took his moment when it arrived.

What about Buddy’s aging soft (overhead) clutch-marking hands, how beautiful was that to see.

“The best that Franklin’s first match-up, Brandon Maynard, could do was try to wipe the oil off his arms.”
    Vince Rugari
    SMH

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Pretty good summation of the match by The Roar even though it initially starts out like a Magpies whinge. They reckon we deserve to be in the GF and have every chance of winning.

AFL Finals Focus: They made it by the skin of their teeth - but here's why the Swans can still conquer the Cats in the big dance
    Good read.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post

Do yourself a favour, make sure you read this

So proud of the club and the players, class acts all round regardless of next weeks outcome, but we are a big show
    Last edited by 707; 18th September 2022 at 08:44 AM.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    All our younger players were wonderful in their own ways. And I'm confident none is going to be overwhelmed by the occasion next week. Chad's second quarter, in particular, was super, and as you say, Errol was wonderful throughout. Rowbottom was his normal terrier self all match.

But JMac had a handful of wonderful moments, Braedon had to adjust to not playing at senior level for many weeks but was able to adjust to the speed of the game well and it was his kick to Papley that resulted in the "sealer". Stephens just kept on running and running and running. McDonald took his moment when it arrived.
    Very good. And despite the two early blocking frees (thought the second one was line ball), Lizard was excellent. He’s become such a good defender.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Yes, cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    I will read it 707, but I must confess that though it was fantastic to win, the last quarter left me flat. The boys were terrific in the first half and bar a few gettable goals, we could have posted an unassailable lead. But in the last we went a bit too defensive and I’m not sure whether this was Horse’s instructions or the players thought this themselves.

It’s incredible that we are in the GF- we couldn’t have realistically expected this at the start of the season!
    Credit to the lads and all our staff.
    Hope Sammy will be ok as he has been terrific- who else can partner big Tom?

In the 96 prelim, Plugger kicked the winning point and the euphoria was phenomenal. Last night we defended with all our lives- let’s hope that next week we bring our attacking game for 4 quarters!

Senior Player
    As The Roar guy said part way through the third quarter Collingwood went into full-on attack mode. To their credit they are
    good enough to do that and for it to nearly come off. They had to try something radical otherwise the game would have petered
    out and we'd have won by 34 pts or something. Which of course we all would have much preferred rather than the heart
    attack stuff at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    I will read it 707, but I must confess that though it was fantastic to win, the last quarter left me flat. The boys were terrific in the first half and bar a few gettable goals, we could have posted an unassailable lead. But in the last we went a bit too defensive and I’m not sure whether this was Horse’s instructions or the players thought this themselves.

It’s incredible that we are in the GF- we couldn’t have realistically expected this at the start of the season!
    Credit to the lads and all our staff.
    Hope Sammy will be ok as he has been terrific- who else can partner big Tom?

In the 96 prelim, Plugger kicked the winning point and the euphoria was phenomenal. Last night we defended with all our lives- let’s hope that next week we bring our attacking game for 4 quarters!
    The Magpies only had 3 more inside 50s than us in the last quarter, but we missed some gettable chances and fluffed a couple of entries, e.g. when we were 3 on 2 and Papley could have gone straight at goal but tried the team thing instead, only to turn the ball over. Among others. The last 5 minutes were excruciating.
    Having said that, getting to the GF is a phenomenal achievement, and I still can’t quite believe it. Bravo to everyone at the club!

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    What a game ! I agree that I couldn’t watch the final 4 minutes as the pressure got to me. We were too defensive minded. Lack of Sam Reid and not many players providing the contested marking ability and then having spares in defence meant that Collingwood could easily run the ball from their halfback. I thought players like Logan and Hayward needed to do more to bring the ball to the ground or defensively.
    Tactically after losing Reid and putting Mills in defense meant we were always going to have a problem having Crisp, De Goey, Pendlebury to deal with in the middle. I am not sure why Mills went behind the ball, could we not have used Hayward or Heeney. And leave the midfield structure intact. At one Stage Mills even went in the ruck in our defensive half and I thought if we kept doing this we are definitely going to lose the match.
    Becoming defensive in the Prelim final is understandable, it won’t happen in Grand final. Collectively we have 2 coaches who have lost 3 grand finals recently. Hopefully they combine to get us across the line.
    Grand Final here we come !