Page 44 of 56 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast

Thread: 2024 List Management

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by 111431 View Post
    either of the app stores or spotify

- - - Updated - - -

would we look at a couple of kids we have under our eyes in the VFL? Moi Moi and Ben Edwards look ok to me
    Listened to podcast on Spotify. All of it is excellent.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Very interesting interview, especially the parts on Serong and Stephens

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Very interesting interview, especially the parts on Serong and Stephens
    You could hear the angst in his voice with the juxtaposition of those two decisions, coming as they did in the same draft.

I confess I'm not sure I could sit through a whole lot of those podcasts. The saccharine level was dialed a little high for my tastes.

But Beatson's contributions were excellent and interesting. A lot of it I've heard before (or didn't come as a surprise when I piece together all the little snippets picked up from different places). I did enjoy his insights into what attracted the recruitment team to Chad. And I thought for a moment I might get an answer to the question I'm most curious about (from Beatson's domain), which is at what pick would they have matched a bid for Errol. But the podcast pulled away just as I thought it might go there.
    Last edited by liz; 29th May 2024 at 05:34 PM.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    You could hear the angst in his voice with the juxtaposition of those two decisions, coming as they did in the same draft.

I confess I'm not sure I could sit through a whole lot of those podcasts. The saccharine level was dialed a little high for my tastes.

But Beatson's contributions were excellent and interesting. A lot of it I've heard before (or didn't come as a surprise when I piece together all the little snippets picked up from different places). I did enjoy his insights into what attracted the recruitment team to Chad. And I thought for a moment I might get an answer to the question I'm most curious about (from Beatson's doman), which is what pick would they have matched a bid for Errol. But the podcast pulled away just as I thought it might go there.
    We may never know, but I do know for a fact they had clear intelligence the earliest risk of a selection on Errol was Geelong at 20 (who did do the later bid) or Melbourne at their two picks at 21-22; and in fact if he slid by there, it was highly likely the issue wouldn't come up again till the pick Geelong eventually used to bid on him. Clubs just couldn't get past Errol's size. So it was never really an issue. My understanding is we had him around 15-20 on our board, but that still doesn't answer your question.

I'd also forgotten from the interview just how long Kinnear had been with us - and his first pick after joining us came via the rookie draft: the great and mighty Nick Smith. What a winner.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

First call by Kinnear................was..................2006 Nick Smith !!!!!

Takeaways:

- Polly the caller who asked about 6 questions or more asked awesome questions !!! (Im only guessing but Polly might be Polly Porridge?)

- Less testing data more GPS data

- trading system so different last few years and massive scenario planning vs days gone by

- 1500 games that are smart marked and sent through these days from Champion data (enormous)

- old school to new school player analysis > Andrew Ireland said to the whole club back in the day "if you dont get your head around data analytics you will struggle to keep a job"

- Person vs data is still critical > can only pick up on that in games and reactions to big moments and involvement

- Interviews still critical in players truly truly loving the game and willing to dig deep enough to find new levels within themselves

- Success so often comes from the players attitude towards hardwork and competing harder when the chips are against the team and or their opposite number

- Equally, in general the AFL unsuccessful struggle in the above two areas

- CHAD > he didnt play any higher than colts > but impressed by his ferocity

- Will Hayward > Kinnear put it on Will about his Beep Test and said it is nowhere near AFL level in drat year.........Will responded by immediately booking in with his Adelaide team Sport and Conditioning coach to do extra. Kinnear then heard about this response by Will to take the tough feedback but then take action.

- Will Green highly rated and best ruckman tend to come via the draft

- Brodie Grundy > travelled through Europe with Kinnear with the Aust 17s academy..........also KB knew Brodie is a different cat.............but rated him

- JJ > was a Swans supporter and knew John Longmires family well due to where he grew up > very lucky circumstances for him being a UFA

- Nick Blakey deal > split the deal with West Coast > ie got Nick and then ........sounds like this was a nail in the coffin amongst many clubs lobbying against the Swans

- Logan > intel North were not taking him. Always were looking for a mobile forward and very keen on him

- Swans > Academy bias and envy from other states especially Melb based clubs > the challenge is still enormous to prevent NRL and Union first taking emerging NSW talent........NRL and Union can chat at a younger age then AFL re future contracts massive advantage for NRL and UNION

- Leaving players Dawso, AA, Cameron killed KB.............Dawso was very much a lifestyle decision by Jordy and cost of living issues..........family in SA, childhood sweet hearts from SA.......in Sydney Jordy only had a backyard with no grass, two dogs, no garage..............but completely the opposite in SA and at 1/3 of the price for next stage of life

- Jack Buller long term injury list / back is screwed right now but needs time to get it right > will be active if 2 players that we are keen are available ? Jack Buller does have a 2025 contract with us !

only listened for 30mins or so while jogging

thats all I have
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 29th May 2024 at 05:55 PM.
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    My understanding is we had him around 15-20 on our board, but that still doesn't answer your question.
    Beatson says in this podcast that they rated the two of them (Campbell and Gulden) pretty much neck and neck. I imagine they wouldn't have matched the bid for Campbell that high if they thought it was massively over-rating him, though I guess if they were confident they'd still have the points for Errol and weren't planning on drafting anyone else, I guess they might have made a calculated trade-off. Overs for one knowing it would be unders for the other.

Veterans List
    Always thought it would be great to be able to compare club's boards of the same draft.

Stocker rated top six by SOS but had slipped to 19/20 before SOS burned a high future pick to draft him at that point. Looks like the 17 other clubs boards were right though

Quick profiles of all the players who are supposed to have gone through medicals. There's actually a few key forwards there, if the plan is to go like for like.

PROFILED: Top Mid-Season Draft Prospects - Aussie Rules Rookie Me Central

Veterans List
    I haven’t seen this reported elsewhere, but there’s nothing in this from Chad to worry about.

x.com
    As I said. Nothing to see here. Go Chad!

On SEN today i heard a Northern Academy ruling which i wasn't aware of. It was mentioned Northern Academy players, like father/sons, have to nominate their respective AFL club before they can be selected/match bid by their club. I suppose on reflection it makes sense, as i always thought it as fait accompli that any player in their respective Northern Academy can be automatically selected by their AFL club, but then you have situation like Nick Blakey who also had option of either nominating Brisbane or North as F/S.

P.S. Heard today amongst the many fixture/draft requirements submitted by all 18 clubs to the AFL, one which pricked my ear was that if an Northern Academy Player also qualifies as a F/S, it takes precedence over Northern Academy selection (i.e. player no longer has option to make choice).

Veterans List
    * Kinnear knows he buggered up the Serong selection and says, in effect: "I still have no idea how I talked myself out of picking him."
    As I predicted (weeks ago).

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    On SEN today i heard a Northern Academy ruling which i wasn't aware of. It was mentioned Northern Academy players, like father/sons, have to nominate their respective AFL club before they can be selected/match bid by their club. I suppose on reflection it makes sense, as i always thought it as fait accompli that any player in their respective Northern Academy can be automatically selected by their AFL club, but then you have situation like Nick Blakey who also had option of either nominating Brisbane or North as F/S.

P.S. Heard today amongst the many fixture/draft requirements submitted by all 18 clubs to the AFL, one which pricked my ear was that if an Northern Academy Player also qualifies as a F/S, it takes precedence over Northern Academy selection (i.e. player no longer has option to make choice).
    I don't believe that's true under current rules. (I'm not going to predict what changes they might make.)

My understanding is that if a player commits to the U18 programme of an academy they are obliged to make themselves available for selection to their host club but with one exception. That is that players who also qualify as a FS have the choice of opting their FS club instead. That's actually a concession to FS rule already.

The idea that FS should take priority is a nonsense. FS is an entirely optional arrangement. Optional for both player and club. No club is obliged to select the son of an ex-player, and no player is obliged to go to his father's club. Marc Murphy showed that. The AFL cannot (and will not) impose mandatory FS on a player.

Nick Blakey received a concession that allowed him to opt out of the academy priority over him and instead join either North or Brisbane. He chose not to. Freely. Imagine if he'd not been allowed to stay in his home town as all other northern academy players are allowed to, just because his father was a pretty decent player. Discrimination?

That's not to say some clubs won't have asked for it. There are a lot of stupid people running some of the clubs.