Page 4 of 54 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: 2024 List Management

Happy to offer my services!

And just to start things off, I reckon we may have made an error not drafting Darcy Wilson. He looks like a real jet!

Not to say that our young ruck Will Green won't be good, but it's probably gonna take a fair while to find out!

Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post

And just to start things off, I reckon we may have made an error not drafting Darcy Wilson. He looks like a real jet!

Not to say that our young ruck Will Green won't be good, but it's probably gonna take a fair while to find out!

Don’t worry, we’ll get about pick 39 back for him (like we did for Cameron and Nank) in a few years, when he is tired of being stuck behind Grundy and Ladhams!

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    Seems to me to be a pretty smart move having Green learn his craft in the VFL. Grundy is 30 and will not be around for ever. Remember big men take 3 years to develop. A good example of this is Logan McDonald who is about to enter his fourth season.
    Not sure about Ladhams. He certainly has ability, but seems to lack footy smarts. I would love to be proven wrong

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post

I confess I've not seen Wilson play (including not watching yesterday's Saints Bombers game) but his draft profile painted him as a balanced midfielder but with an outside leaning, decently quick, good ball user. That sounds like a type of player that we are already pretty well stocked up in. There has already been debate about whether Jordon's arrival will force Campbell and/or McInerney out of the team (if all are available). (I had McInerney as my BOG on Thursday, with Campbell not far behind, so I suspect the answer is "no".)

And then we have Corey Warner and Caleb Mitchell in reserve, both with similar sets of attributes. Having watched him develop over two years, I am highly optimistic that Corey has what it takes now to contribute at senior level, though he may struggle for opportunity. Mitchell is a bit further behind, and last year was inconsistent, but he won plaudits from Truslove for his performance on Thursday. I suspect Mitchell (and maybe Warner) will never have the polish that Wilson was credited with in his junior years but they bring other attributes that can be applied in a similar role.

I wasn't enamoured by the club using its first pick on a ruckman in the last draft, but the timing is right to take one now to give him time to develop. And while lots of premier rucks have been obtained via the rookie draft or late in the national draft, it can be hit and miss. I didn't see Green touch the ball during the few minutes of VFL play that I stayed to watch, but I did observe him move ever so smoothly for such a young tallster.

Seriously skilful young man Green.

All the hallmarks of a protege to Grundy / Ladhams

Sounds like horse is incredibly inspired by Greens skill and dexterity.

There really wasn’t another position in our best 22 that we could go for with that first pick…..was there ?

I felt we stacked them last few drafts and the trades of Patch, Grundy, JJ, Hamling pretty much fit the gaps required. Plus we attended to posies via Buller and Arnold also mid last year.

I feel we are stacked. Well as long as our talls kick goals obviously we much is a big task for young guys who haven’t played a stack of AFL when older experienced KPDs are riding your back all game.

It’s be honest though…… it is going to be so hard to keep the talent we have next two seasons.

To go for a slow burn in Greeny who could become an elite talent makes sense re our cap and our future needs re ruck in 4 years or so.

Taking Green was a brilliant move in my opinion. Will be a gun and just coming into it when Grundy finishes.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Taking Green was a brilliant move in my opinion. Will be a gun and just coming into it when Grundy finishes.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I confess I've not seen Wilson play (including not watching yesterday's Saints Bombers game) but his draft profile painted him as a balanced midfielder but with an outside leaning, decently quick, good ball user. That sounds like a type of player that we are already pretty well stocked up in. There has already been debate about whether Jordon's arrival will force Campbell and/or McInerney out of the team (if all are available). (I had McInerney as my BOG on Thursday, with Campbell not far behind, so I suspect the answer is "no".)

And then we have Corey Warner and Caleb Mitchell in reserve, both with similar sets of attributes. Having watched him develop over two years, I am highly optimistic that Corey has what it takes now to contribute at senior level, though he may struggle for opportunity. Mitchell is a bit further behind, and last year was inconsistent, but he won plaudits from Truslove for his performance on Thursday. I suspect Mitchell (and maybe Warner) will never have the polish that Wilson was credited with in his junior years but they bring other attributes that can be applied in a similar role.

I wasn't enamoured by the club using its first pick on a ruckman in the last draft, but the timing is right to take one now to give him time to develop. And while lots of premier rucks have been obtained via the rookie draft or late in the national draft, it can be hit and miss. I didn't see Green touch the ball during the few minutes of VFL play that I stayed to watch, but I did observe him move ever so smoothly for such a young tallster.
    I agree that we do have a lot of midfield players, some more promising than others, but I'm of the belief that you can't have too many gun midfielders as it creates a healthy competition for games. Yes, you ultimately lose some, but as long as it's the right ones, then so be it.

Just watching Wilson play, he looks like someone who could have a real impact from the start, similar to how Errol did, although I'm not stating that he's as good as our boy! Lol.

The kid has breakaway pace, looks to have very good skills, and looks like he always wants the ball (a trait that Errol has), and seems to have a good footy brain with his decision making.

I just thought that where we are at list wise, our time is now, and this kid would definitely get games this year with us, I have no doubt about that!

The Saints have got themselves a good one, I reckon.

I'm interested to hear others' thoughts after they've watched him a bit.

"be tough, only when it gets tough"

Senior Player
    Rowbottom, Florent, Hayward, Mcdonald, Gulden

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    Rowbottom is still severely underrated by lots of people. I understand that he's not the sexy, ball winner that everyone likes but he has finished top 3 in the Bob Skilton for the past 2 years. You are not under pressure if you are doing the job that the coaches want.
    Indeed. Why do people underestimate him?

Probably because of his foot skills are ordinary at best. He does all the hard and desperate stuff that coaches and teammates love, but the casual fan will look at his disposal and dismiss him straight away unfortunately.

Page 4 of 54 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast