Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Academy games 2024

In front 48-37 at the final break. As well as the McGroder goal, there were a couple of goals to Chambers (12) who was probably playing half forward flank. The second was a sharp crumbing effort.

Our pressure meant that we had the better of that quarter, but we missed too many forward targets to fully take advantage. Will need to keep the pressure up, as the Giants might have the breeze in the last.

Opti-pessi-misti
    I just tuned in a few moments ago and saw no.38 in flight. That was impressive. I think he has been watching Blakey!

Ended up winning 69-53. McCartney got his third goal for the game from a mark on the goal line. O'Loughlin got on the board, after a handball found him in space close to goal. While our final goal was from Newman, who had a busy game as on outside mid. Blackwell-Smith was once again busy in that quarter an inside mid.

If anyone wants to see the McGroder goal, go to 1hr 55min and 50sec of the replay.

GWS Giants Academy v Sydney Swans Academy (2024 Marsh AFL National Dev. Champs – U16 Boys) - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    If anyone wants to see the McGroder goal, go to 1hr 55min and 50sec of the replay.

GWS Giants Academy v Sydney Swans Academy (2024 Marsh AFL National Dev. Champs – U16 Boys) - YouTube
    Wow! Is he rucking? How tall is the kid? That was impressive athleticism!

Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    Wow! Is he rucking? How tall is the kid? That was impressive athleticism!

Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk
    He's listed as 192cm, so he needs to grow a bit to develop into an AFL ruck prospect. But he has a couple of years to do that. If he only gets to 195cm, he could be an exciting key position player. No more growth and it's highly likely that he'd still be an awesome winger. But from what I've seen of him at this age, the opposition rucks aren't that much taller, and he wins plenty of taps by just leaping higher than them.

On his athleticism, he won the long jump gold in the U20 national championships, as a 15 year old. And he picked up a silver in the U18 400m medley relay. So, you'd think that he'll have to make a decision between athletics and football. Let's hope that he chooses football.

And speaking of junior 400m champions, I wonder what Giants coach, Tadhg Kennelly, would have been thinking, after the opposition ruckman did that from a ruck contest on your half forward flank?

Senior Player

Three bounce run too before the goal!

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    He's listed as 192cm, so he needs to grow a bit to develop into an AFL ruck prospect. But he has a couple of years to do that. If he only gets to 195cm, he could be an exciting key position player. No more growth and it's highly likely that he'd still be an awesome winger. But from what I've seen of him at this age, the opposition rucks aren't that much taller, and he wins plenty of taps by just leaping higher than them.

On his athleticism, he won the long jump gold in the U20 national championships, as a 15 year old. And he picked up a silver in the U18 400m medley relay. So, you'd think that he'll have to make a decision between athletics and football. Let's hope that he chooses football.
    That’s tantalising and that goal was something else. 2026 draft year?

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    That’s tantalising and that goal was something else. 2026 draft year?
    Yes, everyone in the squad is 2026, except for James O'Loughlin, who's 2025. Which is a bit of a change from previous years, where I think that there were generally a handful of overagers running around. Perhaps getting back to normal after the covid years?

Senior Player
    With the age distribution of the kids in the U16s and the U18s we don't get to see much of the in betweeners who have not made the U18s due to being younger. It will be interesting to see who emerges next year .

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678