Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rnd 16 Pre-Match Thread, vs Fremantle at SCG, 1:45 PM Saturday 29 June

Senior Player

Rnd 16 Pre-Match Thread, vs Fremantle at SCG, 1:45 PM Saturday 29 June

Rematch against Fremantle, who I think is contending for a top four spot along with Carlton, Collingwood and GWS.

They may be without their captain this week, so if it wasn't for the recent bye, this would have been a good week to give Amartey a rest and give Hamling a run as a forward in the seniors.

Horse said today that Heeney is fine (no shoulder issues) and that Mills was three weeks away from a conversation about whether he is ready to play (and at what level?).

Anyway, hard to change a winning team, but Campbell is not showing much progression, so I think he makes way for Fox (15 possessions and a goal in the VFL), with Cleary to get another game as sub as part of his apprenticeship, before Roberts comes back in as 22nd/23rd man.

Ins: Fox
    Out: Campbell

FOX for Campbell
    Cleary for Wicks

Campbell or Warner Sub

Not sure Campbell's position but don't think it is defence

Wicks last 7 games
    2gls, 7 tackles,10FA, 8 Goal assists

That is a very low bar and worth getting these fringe guys into the game. I'd even try Campbell in the "role" he is playing

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    Wicks last 7 games
    2gls, 7 tackles,10FA, 8 Goal assists

That is a very low bar and worth getting these fringe guys into the game. I'd even try Campbell in the "role" he is playing
    Are you sure those stats are correct for the last 7 games? If so, must be on the chopping block.

Important given our dominant ladder position that we get some senior game time into inexperienced fringe players who may be needed if injury strikes in the run home and finals. Cleary and Corey W I'm thinking

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    I have watched a bit of Freo this year, including last week. They're building very nicely. And to be frank, if it wasn't for their woeful goal kicking (and you can understand their heads weren't quite right on the night given the occasion), they would have run us close earlier this year. A side is going to get us at some point, and they have a first rate midfield, so who knows.

They were impressive vs the Suns, but I have two caveats on their performance. One is the Suns themselves. On the road, a rabble still. Which leads to my second point.

With all the play, Freo still only managed 85 points. They're a low scoring side. They can obviously score a bit from clearances and stoppages. But their turnover method was also quite predictable - gather the ball at half back, hold the width, and then move the ball diagonally, almost from one defensive flank to the opposite forward flank. Their fleet of small and half forwards were quite prominent in the transition. But a side better prepared defensively (ie: us) will do better containing it than the Suns.

Oh, and it's always dangerous to write off champions, but I wouldn't be surprised if they leave Fyfe at home for the road trip. He was bog average last week, and they've got enough good young midfielders to cope in his absence.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    I don't want Campbell to be dropped. I always feel (blindly?) confident when he has the ball. Hopefully he just needs more seniors time to reach his potential.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Veterans List
    Yay the site is back. I haven't been able to post for 3 days!

I'm trying to remember the corresponding game at the SCG last year. I think Darcy absolutely destroyed us. Their midfield got on top and kicked better to their forwards.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Are you sure those stats are correct for the last 7 games? If so, must be on the chopping block.

Important given our dominant ladder position that we get some senior game time into inexperienced fringe players who may be needed if injury strikes in the run home and finals. Cleary and Corey W I'm thinking
    11 tackles, but otherwise those stats are correct per afl tables: https://afltables.com/afl/stats/play...cks.html#20240.

According to the same source, compared with last year, Wicks's average disposals, goals, and tackles per game are down, and average free kicks against are up.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    I don't want Campbell to be dropped. I always feel (blindly?) confident when he has the ball. Hopefully he just needs more seniors time to reach his potential.
    I feel the same with Campbell
    Needs to go wing or fwd and be told to go long and break a line.

Playing like Dylan atm, totally lost but I want him to come good

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    11 tackles, but otherwise those stats are correct per afl tables: https://afltables.com/afl/stats/play...cks.html#20240.

According to the same source, compared with last year, Wicks's average disposals, goals, and tackles per game are down, and average free kicks against are up.
    Outside of a 1st year player there wouldn't be anyone holding a spot in a team with that output

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    I am not a Wicks fan, however there is one stat that does not get measured and that is defensive tackles against the opposition defenders that lock the ball in the Swans forward line, and that is the reason Wicks is in the team.
    Most teams like to launch an attack from the back line, the Swans included. I think we are rated number 1 for scoring from stoppage, and Wicks is a contributor in this area.

It also the shape that our pressure forwards contribute towards.

In soccer and AFL a pass sideways is a small win a pass backwards is a bigger win as it allows ur team downfield to set their zones for turnover and shuffle forward to create numbers.

When I watch wicks he does create pressure that slows down direct counter attack and or moves the counter attack sideways or backwards

This is definitely measured in the inner sanctum and respected

I’m saying I prefer Wicks vs a couple other options as he is fairly one dimensional but he does contribute signatory to our shape defensively which then provides a high probability for us to force turnovers

Turnovers are the name of the game !

Quote Originally Posted by BRS328 View Post
    I am not a Wicks fan, however there is one stat that does not get measured and that is defensive tackles against the opposition defenders that lock the ball in the Swans forward line, and that is the reason Wicks is in the team.
    Most teams like to launch an attack from the back line, the Swans included. I think we are rated number 1 for scoring from stoppage, and Wicks is a contributor in this area.
    Not directly measured but laying 11 tackles in 7 games says there isnt alot of that happening either, unless your saying Wicks is getting tackled heaps and locking it in ? Hardly a good stat.

I just think he isnt doing enough in holding out others from doing at least the same. Cleary looked good, be great to see him get a full game.

All for whoever holding their spot but I don't think he is doing enough to hold out Cleary and Warner

- - - Updated - - -

Plus in a few weeks Parker could play his role, I know as a defender who I'd rather match up on

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast