Thread: Round 16: the other games.

Round 16: the other games.

It'd be handy for us if a few upsets happened this weekend. Starting with Melbourne beating the increasingly in form Brisbane. Then perhaps followed by North beating the Bulldogs. Then hopefully Gold Coast can continue their Jekyll and Hyde season, where they win everything at home, despite being generally terrible away. Then Richmond and West Coast accounting for Carlton and Hawthorn respectively would be nice.

St Kilda and Port is also interesting, but largely for the number of Port supporters death riding their own team, hoping that a thrashing will mean the end of Ken Hinkley: who somehow seems to have engendered a large amount of unhinged hatred, amongst a growing core of supporters

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    It'd be handy for us if a few upsets happened this weekend. Starting with Melbourne beating the increasingly in form Brisbane. Then perhaps followed by North beating the Bulldogs. Then hopefully Gold Coast can continue their Jekyll and Hyde season, where they win everything at home, despite being generally terrible away. Then Richmond and West Coast accounting for Carlton and Hawthorn respectively would be nice.

St Kilda and Port is also interesting, but largely for the number of Port supporters death riding their own team, hoping that a thrashing will mean the end of Ken Hinkley: who somehow seems to have engendered a large amount of unhinged hatred, amongst a growing core of supporters
    After looking very ordinary early in the game, Melbourne have hit back very hard in the second quarter and lead by 21 with 5 minutes to go till HT!

Veterans List
    Brisbane butchered a number of certain goals in the last quarter but managed to pull off a win.

Plenty of 8 point games this week and next week. Thank goodness we are out of that zone with a nice buffer, lets keep it that way please :-)

Veterans List
    Essendon are back to being Essendon.....I can see them fading to the lower depths of the eight as the season progresses....or beyond.

Not sure Geelong are back to being Geelong though.....time will tell.

Also, great to see the Suns get up over the 'comeback' Magpies.
    Last edited by stevoswan; 29th June 2024 at 11:06 PM.

On the veteran's list
    Not a lot of damage done, ladder wise, with Bombers losing, GWS losing, and Pies losing. Blues will likely gain a game on us, but top two not in immediate danger.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Not a lot of damage done, ladder wise, with Bombers losing, GWS losing, and Pies losing. Blues will likely gain a game on us, but top two not in immediate danger.
    Yes the results today have been good for us. I was so glad that Gold Coast held on. I wouldn't have been able to stand all the Collingwood praise if they got out of jail again in another game.

I went to the Essendon game tonight. They aren't a top 4 side.

Initially amazed with Essendon’s performance against the geriatric Cats, I thought they’d be too fast for them, but in fact, they’re barely a top 8 side at all. Admittedly, last night was the first time I’d really watched them closely.
    GWS look shot, and it was great to see GC beat the Magpies. It won’t shut the media up about them, but does pose a few questions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    Yes the results today have been good for us. I was so glad that Gold Coast held on. I wouldn't have been able to stand all the Collingwood praise if they got out of jail again in another game.

I went to the Essendon game tonight. They aren't a top 4 side.
    Yes, while I quite like Dwayne Russell as a commentator and often find his one liners amusing, his love for Nick Daicos and Collingwood comebacks was driving me insane.

Hopefully the Suns can win a game away from Qld or NT and get into the eight. You'd think they'd be able to beat North at Marvel next week, but they're often mystifyingly bad away from home.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Essendon are back to being Essendon.....I can see them fading to the lower depths of the eight as the season progresses....or beyond.

Not sure Geelong are back to being Geelong though.....time will tell.

Also, great to see the Suns get up over the 'comeback' Magpies.
    I went to the game at the MCG last night. Essendon were bloody awful in the 2nd half. When Geelong got back in front early in 3rd quarter they turned it up. By the last quarter Geelong had players free all over the ground. At one stage Rowen was by himself by 50 metres at CHF. By the way, he played a very good game after half time. The brain fade by Menzies to take the ball through under no pressure started the rot. The ferals went nuts but he looked to his right, hesitated, then took it through. Correct decision. It was quite comical sitting amongst the ferals. "You umpires don't know the rules. We're looking at you number 32". The magic word was used liberally. At one point I swear they called "ball" before their player laid the tackle. They won the free kick tackle 18/15. We thought the umpiring was ok.

Having just watched a replay of the incident, I find it bizarre that Ben Long has been fined for striking Brayden Maynard. If anything, it looks to me that Maynard should have been fined for staging. Maynard tried to push Long away. Long then pushed Maynard in the chest. Maynard then collapsed to the ground, where he knelt holding his head. I really don't think that a glancing blow to the pectoral muscle causes head pain.

Senior Player
    Just watched that as well....pushed him in the chest with minimum force. Maynard should be fined like May. Ridiculous. Surely the press will take this up.