X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MattW
    Veterans List
    • May 2011

Bob Skilton Medal

This is the first year I can remember where there has been no anticipation of the BSM and potential award winners on this site. Demonstrates how flat we all are.

The highlight packages are not hitting tonight. The count seems destined. I'm mostly in it for the speeches. Pridham had some interesting comments: said it wasn't good enough; also that it hurt more than 2022, 2016 and 2014 because (paraphrasing) we were watching them fail *again*.

It is such a disappointing year. The GF has hollowed out all of the previous highs. The GWS win in the qualifying final was the best feeling I've had at a sporting event, but it just makes me a bit sad watching highlights of it now.

It'll interesting to see how I feel in March, but right now the passion feels a bit dulled. I do think acknowledgement of the failure by coach and/ or players tonight would help.
  • bodgie
    Warming the Bench
    • Jul 2007

It seemed to me in his speech Longmire waffled around the issues. 'We ticked all the boxes in our preparation'

Comment

• MattW
      Veterans List
      • May 2011

Originally posted by bodgie
      It seemed to me in his speech Longmire waffled around the issues. 'We ticked all the boxes in our preparation'
      Yes, kind of typical Longmire speech. Spoke very well of Parker, but nothing enlightening about the game.

Comment

• Meg
        Go Swannies!
        Site Admin
        • Aug 2011

The finishing order for the 2024 Bob Skilton Medal:
        1. Isaac Heeney (956 votes)
        2. Errol Gulden (888 votes)
        3. Chad Warner (813 votes)
        4. Brodie Grundy (750 votes)
        5. Nick Blakey (648 votes)
        6. James Rowbottom (639 votes)
        7. Oliver Florent (628 votes)
        8. James Jordon (622 votes)
        9. Jake Lloyd (605 votes)
        10. Tom Papley (576 votes)

Comment

• Meg
          Go Swannies!
          Site Admin
          • Aug 2011

Other Award Winners:

Paul Kelly Player's Player: Isaac Heeney
          Paul Roos Best Player in the finals: Isaac Heeney
          Barry Round Best Clubman Award: James Rowbottom
          Dennis Carroll Award for Most Improved: Justin McInerney
          Rising Star Award: Matthew Roberts
          VFL Player of the Year: Caleb Mitchell
          VFL Squad Player of the Year: Ben Edwards

Comment

• dejavoodoo44
            Veterans List
            • Apr 2015

Well done to Heeney. I doubt if too many people would have picked anyone else to win it. Just a shame that he succumbed to his chronic foot injury in the GF, after starring in the two previous finals. Actually, he was so good for much of the year, that I thought he was some sort of chance to win the most improved award.

I'm mildly surprised that McInerney won that. While he was very good before he got injured, I'm not sure if he was that far above his previous high standard. I thought there were a few strong contenders for that. Roberts went from a fringe midfielder, to playing plenty of decent games in defence. Amartey went from kicking 19 goals in 15 games last season, to being our leading goalkicker with 43. While Melican not only defended reliably, but also improved his ball use.

Also slightly surprised that Rowbottom finished sixth, when he was possibly in better form than when he finished third the previous two seasons. But that's probably due to him missing a couple of games.

Comment

Working...