• Show
Clear All
  • Meg
    Go Swannies!
    Site Admin
    • Aug 2011

AFLW R5 2024: Western Bulldogs v Sydney Swans, 7.15pm AEST Whitten Oval

Four changes:

In: Ally Morphett returning while stll managing an ongoing foot issue, plus Lara Hausegger, Eliza Vale and Paige Sheppard.

Out: Defender Brenna Tarrant, ruck Giselle Davies and Aimee Whelan — all being managed. Maddy Collier has been omitted.

Swans women will play three matches in 10 days : this Fri night v Bulldogs, Wed 2 Oct v Essendon (also at Whitten Oval); and Sun 6 Oct v Cats at Henson Park. Hence the need to manage players and rotate through the squad.

They will wear the red V on Friday night. Excellent article about the history of the red V. at link.

Sofia Hurley:
    “I played juniors at the South Melbourne Districts in Albert Park, which is where the club started, so I’ve always had a soft spot for the Swans,” Hurley said.
    “[I’ve met] Peter Bedford who was a Brownlow Medal winner for South Melbourne. I wore the red V as a junior so I’m very excited to wear it now.”

The Sydney Swans AFLW side will pull on the red V for the first time this season, marking another chapter in the guernsey’s long history.
  • Ruck'n'Roll
    Ego alta, ergo ictus
    • Nov 2003

Maddies having an tough comeback season isn't she?
    It'll be interesting to see who stands up down back in Brenna's absence.
    No Lochland again.

Comment

• dejavoodoo44
      Veterans List
      • Apr 2015

Good to be in front at the half, after playing really well in the first bit of the second quarter. Hurley has looked dangerous, while Gardiner and Kennedy have been busy in the midfield. Morphett was going well in the second, but then she spent the last 12 minutes on the bench, so I hope she's not injured.

Comment

• Meg
        Go Swannies!
        Site Admin
        • Aug 2011

Originally posted by dejavoodoo44
        Morphett was going well in the second, but then she spent the last 12 minutes on the bench, so I hope she's not injured.
        I think / hope the reason was to limit her playing time as part of the management of her sore foot (described tonight as a ‘hot spot’). Ally has started in the third quarter. Argh Dogs have hit the front though …

Comment

• Meg
          Go Swannies!
          Site Admin
          • Aug 2011

Oh no! I spoke too soon, Morphett has come off hobbling ….

Comment

• dejavoodoo44
            Veterans List
            • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Meg
            Oh no! I spoke too soon, Morphett has come off hobbling ….
            Which makes things a bit difficult, but Gardiner is looking like she could carry us to victory.

Comment

• mcs
              Travelling Swannie!!
              • Jul 2007

We always knew that this season would be a lot tougher for the ladies, but it really does feel like tactically we have taken some pretty big steps backwards. Struggling to understand how we are trying to play - so many basic errors tonight as well.

Injuries definitely not helping us either.

Thoroughly enjoyed the night out at Whitten Oval however. Hope Morphett is okay - she is so fantastic to watch.
              "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Comment

• Meg
                Go Swannies!
                Site Admin
                • Aug 2011

Originally posted by dejavoodoo44

Which makes things a bit difficult, but Gardiner is looking like she could carry us to victory.
                Sadly not, though Gatdiner was terrific. Loss of Morphett really us I think, the Swans defenders eventually got worn down by the constant forward entries by the Dogs. And those two blunders by McEvoy didn't help.

All that said, Dogs were the better team overall and certainly came home strongly..

Not the start for the weekend of football we had hoped for. Over to the men tomorrow to fly the Swans flag. Gp Swannies!

Comment

• Ruck'n'Roll
                  Ego alta, ergo ictus
                  • Nov 2003

Originally posted by Meg
                  Sadly not, though Gatdiner was terrific. Loss of Morphett really us I think, the Swans defenders eventually got worn down by the constant forward entries by the Dogs. And those two blunders by McEvoy didn't help.
                  Busy, busy backline, and in the absence of Branna. Ella Heads was back to her best. I also though Alice Mitchell had another promising game - good game notwithstanding Sargent-Wiilson unhelpfully shepherding her out of a marking contest.
                  Gardner as always accumulated loads of touches, but more than normal weren't very clean or seemed to single out Dogs players. Slippery night?
                  We were generally ordinary going into the forward line, Dogs clearly expected us to look for Privitelli and double teamed her - but we did it anyway. We needed a second target up forward, Molloy's gone for the season, Ham was rested and it got even worse when Ally went down.

Comment

Working...