Clear All
  • Mark26
    Senior Player
    • Jan 2017

Originally posted by UUaswan
    Cautiously optimistic

Our best has been the best all year
    Healthy team, our top end is unrivalled, well rested

They are outside the 4, well travelled, lost a ruck a few others limping.

Im hoping we show up early ans put these blokes away
    Here here!

I won't be able to watch the GF live as I'll be travelling from Hanoi to Saigon, but hoping for a relentless attack for four quarters.

Our best will be good enough. Come on Swannies!

Comment

• UUaswan
      Pushing for Selection
      • Sep 2024

Originally posted by Mark26

Here here!

I won't be able to watch the GF live as I'll be travelling from Hanoi to Saigon, but hoping for a relentless attack for four quarters.

Our best will be good enough. Come on Swannies!
      Our best isnt just good enough, our best is too good

Comment

• dejavoodoo44
        Veterans List
        • Apr 2015

Since I'm feeling pretty confident of a win today, I decided to try and remember how I felt before our previous grand finals.

Back in 1996, I don't think I was at all confident. We were only a few years past the truly terrible Swans sides of the early 90s and looking at the history books, winning finals wasn't something that the Swans did often. So, it was more a case of happy to be there and to get a bit of experience for a quick return.

So, while 2005 was a bit longer wait than I was expecting, I was feeling pretty good that year. I do remember a friend asking me how realistic I thought our chances were and I replied "Around 60/40." I think that mildly optimistic assessment was based largely on my faith in Paul Roos as a coach, rather than any match up advantages.

In 2006, our series of close games against West Coast had meant that I thought it was a coin toss. And those close games left me feeling that one all was fair enough. Although, now that I know more about the lifestyle choices of some of that West Coast side, I'm probably not feeling quite so gracious.

I was feeling quite bullish in 2012, as I thought the finals wins against Adelaide and Collingwood were very good.

Unfortunately, 2014 was perhaps the most confident that I've been, due to our thrashing of North in the prelim. I think some time late in that game, I sent a text to a Hawthorn supporting friend along the lines of, "Be afraid, be very afraid" Then perhaps the only text that I sent to him during the grand final, was just after half time and read, "Too good. Bastards!!"

Obviously I was confident in 2016, coming up against the seventh placed Bulldogs. And really, I'm still not entirely convinced that we should count that one as a loss. I mean, if somebody tries to make the argument that the Franklin recruitment was a failure because we didn't win a premiership, or that Longmire can't coach because he's only won one premiership, then my first instinct is to point to the umpiring on that day.

Which brings us to 2022. I thought we had a reasonable chance, if we could get the ball to the outside and tire out the generally older and heavier Geelong players. Unfortunately, we spent most of the day being monstered at the contests and hack kicking it straight ahead to another contest.

So, possibly not a huge correlation between my confidence levels and results, but that's not going to stop me saying that I feel pretty confident today.

Comment

• mcs
          Travelling Swannie!!
          • Jul 2007

Could not ask for a nicer day for it!

May the pain of 2022 drive the boys, may they give and give again, until they've got not left to give.

And may the red and white faithful help them bring home the cup!

Up the mighty Swannies - let's be doing this!!!!
          "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Comment

• Daisi
            Senior Player
            • Jul 2011

Great to see some fans wandering around Sydney

Go Swannies!

Comment

• Meg
              Go Swannies!
              Site Admin
              • Aug 2011

I’ve just read that both teams will wear their home strip. If that means Brisbane will wear their dark shorts as well as dark jumper, I am not thrilled. I hope they at least wear white shorts.

Comment

• Hotpotato
                Senior Player
                • Jun 2014

Yes, the fans have to help the will of the Universe to a Swans win today - they are a vastly different outfit now Buddy has retired (and we loved having him w us - Fitzsimmons has written a good piece today about this SMH)
                The shackles are off now and the team can choose multiple routes to score.

They WILL stamp their authority on the comp this year and we will help them do it !

Comment

• erica
                  Happy and I know it
                  • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Meg
                  I’ve just read that both teams will wear their home strip. If that means Brisbane will wear their dark shorts as well as dark jumper, I am not thrilled. I hope they at least wear white shorts.
                  No white shorts for either team. The AFL announced that a couple of days ago.
                  All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Comment

• mcs
                    Travelling Swannie!!
                    • Jul 2007

Some good omens. Saw Keiran Jack, Sammy Reid and mighty Teddy Richards on the way in! Good vibes - carn the Swannies!
                    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Comment

• Meg
                      Go Swannies!
                      Site Admin
                      • Aug 2011

Originally posted by erica

No white shorts for either team. The AFL announced that a couple of days ago.
                      Thanks I missed that. H’mm not everyone has 20:20 eyesight. Not saying can’t tell difference but it does make it easier when one team has white shorts

Comment

Working...