Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rugby Calender Clashes with Swans Draw

Originally posted by Damien
    I just don't understand the 1pm start if 9 isn't going to show it nationally
    If the AFL doesn't change the fixture and keeps two 1pm starts, the 1pm start for our match would be so, coverage of the Syd v Bris match could be shown LIVE into Sydney and Brisbane on Ch9 before Ch9 show the League at 4. A 2pm start couldn't be shown LIVE on Ch 9 into those cities any other way. Still I think the fixture will be changed around to suit the boardcasters.

to give Cats/Demons prime time on a Saturday night?
    That won't happen because Skilled Stadium doesn't have lights and the Dome is being used on the Saturday and Sunday already. Most likely will see the Cats v Dees moved to Saturday afternoon, Port vs Crows moved to Saturday Night and all is right fixture and TV wise.
    Last edited by robbieando; 1st December 2004 at 06:57 PM.
    Once was, now elsewhere

Originally posted by liz
    Do we actually know this to be the case though? It is entirely feasible that both associations booked the the stadium in good faith on the Saturday and that somehow the double booking wasn't picked up by the SA management.
    The ARU had booked the ground for the Bledisloe Cup on the 6th of August to begin with, before a late change to the Tri-Nations fixture meant they had to move it to the 13th of August. However the AFL had earlier booked the ground for that date when working out their fixture. So when the ARU rebooked the ground they weren't informed of the Swans booking therefore, the clash happened.
    Once was, now elsewhere

On the Rookie List
    Coming to you LIVE from a Stand near you!
    Originally posted by eirinn
    I guess it's the attitude that irritates me. I am sick of all my rugby-loving friends telling me that rugby is the far superior code, and this will only fuel the fire. We're acting like we're second best, and allowing the ARU to be the prima donnas they are.

To capture the Sydney market, the AFL needs to be aggressive. I really don't see how moving the game would help, unless it's something we can hold against them in later duels.

Sorry, just needed a whinge.
    I agree with you eirinn!The snobs over at the ARU have every little respect for the AFL code and they thumb their toffee noses up in the air at the other codes too!The AFL needs to stand their ground on this one and fight to the death!It will be a tough battle but one,i hope we win!The ARU need to be told,where they can stick it!!!
    Well done Craig Bolton for getting the co- captaincy in 2008.

Your determination,your tenacity and your under-rated skill is why you have become my favourite player!

A Blood to the bootstraps The Boot's Avatar
    20 minutes walk to my seat on O'Reilly wing.
    Originally posted by liz
    Do we actually know this to be the case though? It is entirely feasible that both associations booked the the stadium in good faith on the Saturday and that somehow the double booking wasn't picked up by the SA management.

Unless anyone has inside knowledge on how the double booking occured, it is presumptious to assign blame or to accuse the AFL of rolling over from a position of "being in the right".

If it was a simple error - albeit a big one - the greater pulling power of the Bledisloe Cup, coupled with the lesser flexibility that the ARU has with its scheduling for internationals than a domestic competition (the AFL) has, was always going to win the day.
    Totally agree. Even blind Freddie could see this coming. Look, I'm not fussed, and I don't feel I have to check in to anger management classes like a lot of posters here.
    Good men do good deeds. Evil men do evil deeds. But it takes religion for a good man to do evil deeds.

On the Rookie List
    The fact that the game has been moved dosent really bother me, I just hope that they make one of the other sunday games a Saturday night game. I much prefer the saturday games as it allows for a bit of post game celler brating without worrying about work the next day.
    ...they call me Dr Worm.....
    www.drworm.info

Spoke to a little birdy who said that the following had been agreed by the ARU to get their way:

a) They will underwrite any loss of crowd below 60,000 effectively meaning the game won't cost us anything if the crowd is effected by the change in date

b) The game will be played with the stands configured to an oval to protect the surface

And finally Channel 10 will be given the option to broadcast the game on Sunday if they want to, to make up for the loss of the Saturday night slot.

Can also expect to see no Rugby games in 2006 anywhere in Australia on the nights we play our three Stade De Oz games as well.

DST
    "Looking forward to a rebuilt, new, fast and exciting Swans model in 2010"

OldE
    Originally posted by DST
    Can also expect to see no Rugby games in 2006 anywhere in Australia on the nights we play our three Stade De Oz games as well.

If this proves to be the case, I am much happier.

Living in 2005
    And finally Channel 10 will be given the option to broadcast the game on Sunday if they want to, to make up for the loss of the Saturday night slot.
    That would be a huge moment in Australian TV history, and I can't see it happening.

AFL going head to head on rival FTA networks.

Originally posted by DST
    Please let this be true.
    Visit my eBay store -

10% off for mentioning RWO when you buy. Great Christmas presents!

Originally posted by sharpie
    Please let this be true.
    While the little birdy was not privy to the actual discussions he was aware of what the AFL wanted to have the game moved, so let's hope so.

DST
    "Looking forward to a rebuilt, new, fast and exciting Swans model in 2010"

Originally posted by Damien
    That would be a huge moment in Australian TV history, and I can't see it happening.

AFL going head to head on rival FTA networks.
    True. But it will happen if the Cats aren't willing to give up their National coverage for their home match. If no moves are made expect the TV coverage on that Sunday to be

1pm - Channel 9 - Geelong vs Melbourne
    1pm - Channel 10 - Sydney vs Brisbane
    2pm - Fox Footy - Richmond vs Western Bulldogs
    4pm* - Channel 9 - Hawthorn vs Essendon

Start time of TV coverage not gametime
    Once was, now elsewhere

Living in 2005
    My question is why would Channel 10 be happy to have NO games on that Saturday night live? and give the southern states that night to 7 and the Wallabies?

I just can't see them giving up their Saturday night prime time spot in the Southern States which would rule them out of taking any games on Sunday.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast