Match Thread. Grand Final!!! Swans v Lions.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • imuninformedtwo
    Pushing for Selection
    • Aug 2024

So Heeney apparently had a stress fracture in his ankle during the finals series and it got jammed again in the first quarter, and led to his benching later in the game.

Comment

• mcs
      Travelling Swannie!!
      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Dow
      What disappointments me was the effort based stats, players weren’t prepared to crack in and that’s all attuide it just didn’t mean enough to them and that was clear
      The fact we got out tackled comfortably in a game we lost by 10 goals in a very, very damning.

Get Jude Bolton in there all Summer and teach a few of them how to stick a tackle.
      "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Comment

• Roadrunner
        Senior Player
        • Jan 2018

Originally posted by crackedactor 01

Followed them for 40 years and now I am really thinking of changing teams.What a team of spineless weak minded prima donnas! I hope we don't make the GF for many years to come, I cannot handle another effort like 22 and 24.
        Followed the Bloods for over 60 years- as South Melbourne, we only made the finals once and were beaten by the Saints in our only final. The great Norm Smith was our coach. We were beaten by a better team but not humiliated. Unfortunately today we were. Of course Horse and Co need to take some blame but it was the players who didn’t execute- who told them to bomb it forward? Brisbane were also hungrier and backed each other with numbers- we didn’t. The coaches will come in for criticism, and rightly so, but our boys were bad, with the exception of a few, led by Rowie. What happened to our talls: Logan, Amartey, McLean and McCartin? Sorry guys, it was mainly our players who let the club, themselves and all us supporters down in a massive way.

Comment

• Industrial Fan
          Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes!
          • Aug 2006

Longmire said it’s better to be in the ring for the decider than looking from the outside. I think that’s true - but only if you have a swing.

would much prefer to have lost last week and not take this scarring into 2025.

Out winners list / not losers in their positions imo consists of :

J.Rowbottom

end list.

I just wanted a contest. Smh headline says it best - Deja vu again..
          He ate more cheese, than time allowed

Comment

• UUaswan
            Pushing for Selection
            • Sep 2024

Originally posted by Industrial Fan
            Longmire said it’s better to be in the ring for the decider than looking from the outside. I think that’s true - but only if you have a swing.

would much prefer to have lost last week and not take this scarring into 2025.

Out winners list / not losers in their positions imo consists of :

J.Rowbottom

end list.

I just wanted a contest. Smh headline says it best - Deja vu again..
            Great analogy

Great to be in the ring but not if your not having a swing

We have been in damage control the last 2 GFs

Comment

• Captain
              Captain of the Side
              • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Ruck'n'Roll

You misquote, misrepresent, project and bully - what's to want to know?

In addition it's your penchant for labelling anyone that fails to hold the same views as you as an inferior/disloyal fan - that's the clincher for me.
              Absolutely. I have been on this board 20 years and there has been no bigger bully.

Comment

• Captain
                Captain of the Side
                • Feb 2004

I thought Robbie Fox was a standout today, just like he was in 2022. Rowbottom very good as well. We need more players like them.

Horse has been brilliant but 4 GF losses means it’s time for a new and fresh approach.

Comment

• dejavoodoo44
                  Veterans List
                  • Apr 2015

One cheery thought. After Will Ashcroft won the Norm Smith and Brisbane the premiership, instead of having their first pick in the draft at the end of the first round, they might jump to pick one to take Will's brother Levi.

Comment

• UUaswan
                    Pushing for Selection
                    • Sep 2024

Originally posted by Captain
                    I thought Robbie Fox was a standout today, just like he was in 2022. Rowbottom very good as well. We need more players like them.

Horse has been brilliant but 4 GF losses means it’s time for a new and fresh approach.
                    smashed in probably 20 of 22 Positions, not even close.

Hard to blame a coach for a team not showing up but he does regularly coach a team that doesn't show up so go figure

Comment

• Velour&Ruffles
                      Regular in the Side
                      • Jun 2006

Fox and Rowbottom clearly our best. Never stopped trying, and both were effective. Roberts and Grundy next best. I disagree with whoever said Fort beat Grundy. My eyes at the time said that wasn’t the case and a subsequent check of the stats confirmed that my eyes were not deceived. Perhaps a narrow pass for Blakey, but otherwise it was a train wreck.
                      I feel sorry for Heeney. Hearing about his injury explains a bit.
                      My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Comment

• Kafka's Ghost
                        Regular in the Side
                        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Daisi
                        Next year will be tough - it will be hard to overcome this disappointment - for anybody who made the trip today - your support for the team is admirable - I’m so sorry about the disappointment u must be feeling . I don’t know I’m heartbroken but I guess I’ll be around next year for the fallout

to everybody on this forum - love u folks - your passion.knowledge and love for the club is unmatched - thanks for your company thru the year
                        Good on you Daisi. You’re a great supporter.
                        I’m so much more disappointed today than in 2022. Then it was boys against men. Today…I don’t know what the hell today was.

Comment

• UUaswan
                          Pushing for Selection
                          • Sep 2024

Originally posted by Velour&Ruffles
                          Fox and Rowbottom clearly our best. Never stopped trying, and both were effective. Roberts and Grundy next best. I disagree with whoever said Fort beat Grundy. My eyes at the time said that wasn’t the case and a subsequent check of the stats confirmed that my eyes were not deceived. Perhaps a narrow pass for Blakey, but otherwise it was a train wreck.
                          I feel sorry for Heeney. Hearing about his injury explains a bit.
                          How the f8ck are we again talking about 2 or 3 that showed up on GF day

This is embarrassing, nothing they do during the season can make me confident in finals.

Head and shoulders above everyone this year, 12 other teams would have got within 10 goals of Brissy today

Comment

• Sandridge
                            Outer wing, Lake Oval
                            • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Captain

Absolutely. I have been on this board 20 years and there has been no bigger bully.
                            Bit rich coming from you - you've had your moments, too.

Comment

• liz
                              Veteran
                              Site Admin
                              • Jan 2003

I really can't be xxxxed going back to clean up all the comments on other posters (some of a 'snipe-ish' nature). I get that everyone is pissed off right now. But so I am and I have things I'd much rather be doing than cleaning up after a small minority of you.

I will be deleting any further posts of this nature from this point on. And possibly giving those responsible the time and space they need to take a deep breath.

We've only had this forum back up for a few weeks now. Let's not lose sight of how we value the community that it supports, and let's show each other respect in our mutual time of anguish.

Comment

• Nico
                                Veterans List
                                • Jan 2003

The last 2 weeks our kicking has been precise, this week it was rubbish. I thought Errol was ok but boy some off his kicking was woeful. Too many dinky kicks to players covered. Did anyone spot Jmac in the crowd or at the bar because surely he wasn't on the ground. If Heeney played the finals with a stress fracture in his ankle in the previous finals, then why did he play, when Mills was deemed unfit? I suspect it only took one turn by Logan to do his ankle again.

What disappointed me was how few of our players were prepared to put their head over the ball.
                                People have said we bombed the ball, but what I saw was us trying to avoid Harris-Andrews buy going wide way too often and then not taking the right option. There was one time, and the commentators picked it, when I think Heeney went short and left to the HFF when we had players free out the back on the other side.
                                When they easily rebounded out of our backline they always had a player wide and free by more than 20 metres.
                                It looked to me that we were spent after quarter time.
                                Here I go again: our centre clearance work was woeful. Grundy appeared to always tap side ways because he comes in from the side at centre bounces, yet our players didn't pick that. Brisbane knew this and always had a player free at that spot. We stood flat footed and even if we managed to touch the footy we fumbled and bumbled until we gave it to Brisbane. They got at least 5 goals from clean centre clearances in the first half. 6/6/6 rule means you have to have at least a 50/50 centre clearance stat. How can we get this so wrong year in year out? Dean Cox is our clearance coach!!!! The only bloke who has a red hot go at centre bounces was Rowbottom. This has to be on the coaches. in 2025 we must get Sheldrick and Cleary in there.
                                People on here have said play Parker forward. He is not a forward and when he went into the midfield in the last quarter he kicked 3 goals. He has never been a versatile player.
                                On the coaching I have but one criticism. When Brisbane got a few goals early in the 2nd quarter by strolling away from our inept mids from the centre, why in the heck weren't Papley and Parker moved there to give us some grunt. On my observation we didn't make a move in the first half.
                                My favourite player W. Hayward once again failed to show up in the big time. Kicked the first goal then sprinted off to join Jmac at the bar. Just like 2022.
                                My best were Rowbottom, Grundy, Warner, Ollie, Fox, Gulden (minus his turnovers) and Blakey.
                                Sadly a few years back we had the reputation of being the best contested side, but now were are down at the bottom of the heap.

http://www.nostalgiamusic.co.uk/secu...res/srh806.jpg

Comment

Working...